Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

bookshelves: contemporary, easy-read, lol, physically-owned-books, young-adult, unexpectedly-good

A very cute story about a 15 turning 16 year old girl named DJ who has only ever known life in her dad’s farm. She’s responsible, does what everyone expects of her, obedient and hardworking. Not much different from the cows she milks every day.

“And that’s what put me to sleep. Thinking about cows or elephant poops.” (LMAO!)

One day she decides she doesn’t want to be a cow anymore (and I mean this in a completely metaphorically way, so chill!)^^ and that’s where the plot becomes really interesting.

Written in a very candid and genuine manner in the POV of DJ herself as a journal for her English requirement to redeem her flunked grade, the story, I think, is very genuine and the voice of the narrative truly sounded as if it’s written by a young farm girl and this is probably what made the entire story simply adorable. It's also heartwarming and inspiring. As Uncle Walt Whitman once said: “Simplicity is the glory of expression.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.

Started Reading
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: lol
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: physically-owned-books
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: unexpectedly-good

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Cool review, Aj ;)

message 2: by Mathu (new) - added it

Mathu Great review,Aj:))

message 3: by Daiane (new)

Daiane "One day she decides she doesn’t want to be a cow anymore (and I mean this in a completely metaphorically way, so chill!)"

hahahaha I loved this <3

Aj the Ravenous Reader Kuya Alejandro, Mathu and Ana: Thank you so much, my kind and wonderful friends. <3

Daiane: *waves at you madly* lovely seeing your comment here and lol! Well, you know how some people at this site could be very sensitive and all so I had to clear that out. ;)

message 5: by Daiane (new)

Daiane Aj: Yees!! I'm finally back but still going slowly. I finished my university (finally!!) but I turned into a team leader/a bit of a manager at my job so it's consuming me. Still, I missed here <3

Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm this sounds interesting Aj... I wonder if I'd be feeling like a cow too when I read this.. LOL..

Emer (A Little Haze) Oh Aj...... This Goodreads feed!!!! It just refuses to show me your reviews. No matter how many times I play with the settings.... UGHHHHHHH *tears hair out*
This review is brilliant as ever Xx

message 8: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Love it!

message 9: by Pinky (new)

Pinky This sounds like a super fun book to read! Awesome review!

message 10: by Mathu (new) - added it

Mathu Great review, Aj!:))

Eilonwy Great short review, Ading AJ!

This timing is so funny -- I was just thinking about this book, and about DJ being told she's "just a cow" and deciding she doesn't want to be a cow anymore ... and then here's your review in my notifications, with that bit highlighted! This book has definitely stuck with me. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too! <3

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Very nice review!!! <3

Aj the Ravenous Reader Daiane: Wow! Congratulations, sweetie! That’s amazing- you graduating and earning a job right after. I never doubted you though because of course you deserve it. Enjoy the new chapter of your life. <3

Ate Claire: This is very much, Ate Claire and at one point, it did make me feel like a cow.Lol.

Ate Emer: I’m sorry, Ate Emer, but please don’t take it out on your lovely hair. *cries* I love how Goodreads brings out our dramatic acting skills. Lol! Thank you so much, lovely Ate Emer. <3

Tammy: Love you!^^

Pinky: It was fun, Pinky and also very insightful. Thank you so much, sweetie. <3

Mathu: Thank you so much, lovely Mathu. <3

Ate Holly: Thank you so much, Dear Ate Holly. My timing seems perfect with yours, Ate. Hehe. I didn’t think this book will have that effect so I was surprised. I just finished reading the second book and it’s even more emotional that the first.

Veronica: Aw, thank you so much, sweetie. <3

Ate Deanna: Thank you so much, lovely Ate Deanna. <3

message 15: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Awww! Love you too <3

Books are TARDIS Squeeee, I'm so glad you liked this Aj. I really love this series, it's very grounded and real, in a way that majority of the time, contemporary fiction isn't. I hope you'll continue with it. LMAO at you asking everyone to chill over metaphorical cow comparison, GOLD XD. Love the review ^.^

Aj the Ravenous Reader Tammy: <3

Fai: Wow! That's the exact word for this series, Fai. Grounded. You're just always spot on. Lately, I find it really hard to be eloquent on reviews. haha. Thank you so much, sweetie.