Claire Huston's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

So I FINALLY read Good Omens. It's only taken me 20-odd years to get round to it.

And I think my experience of it suffered from all that build-up. From everything I've heard about it from many readers who love it, I was expected the book to make more of an impact on me. Unfortunately it just kept reminding me how much I love the Discworld series and would love to re-read all of those books (again). Or how brilliantly weird The Ocean at the End of the Lane is.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy Good Omens or think it was great - I did! I particularly liked all the sections featuring the four horsemen, for example. I just don't think this is Pratchett or Gaiman's best book.

*goes to hide before people start throwing things*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

February 27, 2017 – Started Reading
February 27, 2017 – Shelved
March 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Jules (new)

Jules My hubby has been trying to get me to read this for years, as it's one of his favourites :-)

Claire Huston Jules wrote: "My hubby has been trying to get me to read this for years, as it's one of his favourites :-)"
It is very good. I've just been spoiled by too much other brilliant Pratchett and Gaiman books! I've been meaning to read it for ages as well because it's one of both my sisters' favourites :-)

message 3: by Jules (new)

Jules I don't think I've read any Pratchett and Gaiman, despite my dad collecting the Discworld series in paperbacks/hardbacks for years. In fact, my sisters and I have often bought him new releases for his birthday over the years :-)

I bought The Ocean at the End of the Lane for my Kindle, but still not read it. I think my hubby's read it and wasn't that impressed. I'm sure he said it was a bit arty-farty for him, but that probably means I'll enjoy it, lol ;-)

message 4: by Mark (new) - rated it 1 star

Mark Fearnley I just given up on this for the second time, or its basically taken me 20 years to read about half of it! just not my thing!

Claire Huston Jules wrote: "I don't think I've read any Pratchett and Gaiman, despite my dad collecting the Discworld series in paperbacks/hardbacks for years. In fact, my sisters and I have often bought him new releases for ..."
I liked The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was incredibly weird... but what else do you expect from Neil Gaiman! :-)
I love the Discworld. Each book is better than the last.

Claire Huston Mark wrote: "I just given up on this for the second time, or its basically taken me 20 years to read about half of it! just not my thing!"
I had built it up in my head to be far more terrific than it turned out to be. But then that was entirely my fault! Still prefer the Discworld...

Emily Wrayburn I've just finished reading this today and felt exactly the same as you, Claire! It was a perfectly good book but made me want to go read another Discworld. I did wonder if the fact I've never especially clicked with Neil Gaiman might have had something to do with it in my case.