Renee's Reviews > Storm Rising

Storm Rising by Mercedes Lackey

Jul 31, 2011

Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy

Things are getting ugly all over the world. The mage storms are growing and wreaking utter havoc. Our young hero Karal, even with the help of his avatar firecat Altra and (equine-esque) Companion Florian, feels way in over his head. He's one of the few who ISN'T magical, is in fact a living CHANNEL for magic - a singularly painful talent. Nothing like being someone everyone can use!

Hard for old enemies to let go of distrust long enough to become allies. Sometimes committees can be counterproductive, with too many voices trying to be heard. But the storms wait for no one and if they don't get it together, who's right will be a moot point.

I found this SUCH an irony mirror of real times, the politics and infighting. I could totally identify with Karal's frustration with old curmudgeons simply blowing him off as too young to know anything. Everyone had an agenda. Not all are altruistic. Wanting to beat some sense into a few characters and strangle a few more - Mercedes Lackey really knows how to draw a reader in!

ARGH! I HATE CLIFFHANGERS! HAVE TO READ BOOK 3!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Rising.