Book Concierge's Reviews > Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1

Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1 by Rinko Ueda

Jul 31, 2011

bookshelves: zero-stars, concierge, library, graphic-novel, japan

ZERO stars

Sumi’s older brother is an irresponsible jerk who gambles what little money they have, leaving her to try to provide for the passel of little children he keeps bringing “home.” When the landlord and her brother’s bookie demand payment she is forced to “sell herself” to get the necessary money. But the handsome young man who “buys” her has something different in mind … he has to be married by tomorrow in order to inherit the massive conglomerate fortune he feels entitled to.

With apologies to the younger set, I just do not get this genre. Manga is Japanese for “comic,” and this genre of “books” has gained huge popularity, beginning in Japan. It took me a while to realize that the book is printed “backwards” … i.e. it starts on what the Western world considers the back cover and moves from right to left. That itself is disorienting. But the drawings are so exaggerated and the balloon dialogue so truncated that I felt mostly just lost. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone, and would probably actively discourage my young niece and nephew from attempting it.

NOTE - read for a group reading challenge; will NEVER pick up another of these again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1.

Started Reading
July 29, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 31, 2011 – Shelved
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: zero-stars
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: concierge
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: library
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: graphic-novel
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: japan

message 1: by Ninja Neko (new)

Ninja Neko Manga isn't a genre, it's just a word for "(Japanese) comic". There are a lot of genres in manga form, including serious historical drama (like Barefoot Gen). There's more to manga than just fluffy girly escapism... saying you'll never pick one of these up again based on reading just this single volume is like swearing off all fiction after reading a bad chick-lit novel.