Jackson's Reviews > Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

More than halfway through Nicola Yoon's Everything, Everything, I was pleasantly surprised. I say pleasantly because the surprise was happy and unexpected. Of course I had heard of this book with its colorful cover and five-star reviews, but I never picked it up and I'm glad that I finally did.

Everything, Everything tells the story of eighteen-year old Madeline Whittier who is literally allergic to the world. In all her eighteen years she has never been outside, but that changes when all black wearing Olly moves in next door. Soon Madeline finds herself answering to Maddy, falling in love, and wanting a life she can't have.

I thoroughly enjoyed Yoon's storytelling from start to finish. The illustrations within Everything, Everything helps the reader to discover who Maddy is and are fun to read. Maddy herself is a likable and fun character even though she's sick. Yoon's writing is solid as she takes you on a journey of love and risks.

Representation matters, and it's wonderful that there's such a popular book by a woman of color about a woman of color. Yes, this book had me a bit teary during some chapters but I still recommend this book to everyone. Now that I've completed Everything, Everything, The Suns Is Also a Star is definitely on my tbr list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything, Everything.

February 26, 2017 – Shelved