Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > Black Water Lilies

Black Water Lilies by Michel Bussi

bookshelves: dnf, 2017

Fuck you, people on Goodreads who don't hide their spoilers.

DNF @ 30%

I wasn't really getting on with this novel. I found the dialogue really weird and unnatural (maybe it was lost in translation?) and I didn't like any of the characters, especially not Laurenc Serenac or Stephanie Dupain but if you're going to review this with spoilers, TAG THEM AS SPOILERS YOU LITTLE SHITS.

There is a chance that I would have kept going with this but now I know what happens, what's the point? If I was enjoying this more, I still would have kept going, but I don't think there is any use in me completing it now, since I'm not that interested in the read to begin with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Water Lilies.

February 26, 2017 – Started Reading
February 26, 2017 – Shelved
February 26, 2017 –
10.0% "Wow, this is getting amazing reviews! I hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else :-)"
February 26, 2017 –
16.0% "I find the dialogue in this a little strange"
Finished Reading
February 27, 2017 –
28.0% "Ugh, I'm not sure I like this. I can't get over the weird unnatural dialogue and I'm not that fussed about missing out on who the murderer is..."
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf
July 7, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko I hate spoilers too. I hope none of my reviews contain them. Certainly, no fun to finish a book when you already know the ending, or main events. Hope you enjoy your next read. :)

message 2: by Marie (new)

Marie Your review made me laugh. Haha. I hate spoilers, too.

message 3: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum Marie wrote: "Your review made me laugh. Haha. I hate spoilers, too."

Mischenko wrote: "I hate spoilers too. I hope none of my reviews contain them. Certainly, no fun to finish a book when you already know the ending, or main events. Hope you enjoy your next read. :)"

Thank you both. I hope I enjoy my next read more too :-)

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oh that sucks - so sorry someone's review ruined this for you.

message 5: by Yoy (new) - rated it 1 star

Yoy There is a Dutch reviewer (only on a Flemish book review site, luckily) who thinks it is interesting that you know the whole book before you start reading it. So you will enjoy the structure the author made up etc. He thinks that is 'litterature'. Even for detectives. Of course I always skip his long reviews that are only made of one big spoiler. And he does not warn.

message 6: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum I feel like that defeats the whole point of a book though! Especially a thriller!

Leah Davis I don't mind knowing what will happen when I am reading a book, heck, sometimes I read random pages ahead in the book. But that's on me. People shouldn't give away plot twists in their reviews.

That being said, I've read the book and know the twists. I kind of wouldn't mind rereading the book just to better appreciate how the author laid everything out and snared us in his web of storytelling. If I didn't have five new books piled up in my nightstand, I would.

message 8: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Definitely would not have finished if I had known the end, feel you girl. It wasn't a very good book even if you didn't know what was happening.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay I often write spoilers in my review, but then I hide them. So, it's up to you to read my reviews or not. It's so easy to do so, we just have to check a box at the bottom of our reviews. So I don't understand why people don't do it.

Adina Nita I do not hate spoilers. I don't mind knowing the ending, because I still going to read IT, for the story!
Sometimes i read the ending before I finish the book! :)

message 11: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum I hate spoilers, especially if I’m not enjoying the book! I get that some people don’t mind spoilers but the majority of people do and so it would just be nice if they were tagged as such so we didn’t accidentally see them! 😄

message 12: by JimZ (new) - rated it 2 stars

JimZ Terrible dialogue. Seems like it was written by an adolescent.