Denae's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

it was ok
bookshelves: list-worst-books-read-in-2011, read-in-2011, challenge-1010-by-2020, nook

If you've ever watched Archer and heard Lana say "Nope," you can understand when I say that my reaction upon finishing A Visit from the Goon Squad was pretty much that. It's not a bad book, in a lot of ways it's probably a good book. There was just one giant problem for me--I didn't enjoy it. Not in the way of a book that is uncomfortable for its honesty or its tragedy or the humanity it depicts. In fact, all of those elements are present, although too many slip by frustratingly neglected. Rather, it was unenjoyable because it lacked substance. The characters had all been through heartbreaks, but something still felt off. There was something lacking. I truly do not understand the reaction to this book. Maybe it's just me.

July 31, 2011 – Shelved
October 9, 2011 – Started Reading
October 9, 2011 –
page 85
29.51% "I'm trying to reserve judgment."
October 12, 2011 –
page 352
100% "I am perplexed. How and why did this win the Pulitzer?"
October 12, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 21, 2011 – Shelved as: list-worst-books-read-in-2011
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2011
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: challenge-1010-by-2020
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: nook

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Any review with an Archer reference in it gets a big thumbs up from me.

Denae Haha! Isn't it a great show?! I'm in HR, and I can't tell you how often I have wished I could talk to people like Pam does.

message 3: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Denae wrote: "Haha! Isn't it a great show?! I'm in HR, and I can't tell you how often I have wished I could talk to people like Pam does."

It is one of my favorites. I can't wait for the third season to begin. Pam is superb.

Denae Have you seen the three episode special? It's fantastic.

message 5: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Denae wrote: "Have you seen the three episode special? It's fantastic."

No, I haven't. I will have to see if is available for download.