Irena's Reviews > Allegedly

Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson

Feb 25, 2017

Read 2 times. Last read February 23, 2017 to February 25, 2017.

Actual rating: 4,5

Only few books can shake me. Allegedly is one of them.

After I finished this compelling novel, I needed some time to process everything that was going on in the book, as well as calm myself so I could understand my feelings.

Reading this, you probably think I’m exaggerating.
If I was you, I’d probably think the same.
But I am telling the truth. Sometimes we don’t know how we’re going to react to a certain book, and sometimes our reactions can surprise us.

Going into this story, I knew it would be difficult for me. I was even aware how disturbing it was.
You probably hear about Allegedly, as one of novels written in own voices, one that was praised in “reading diversity” movement (if that’s a movement, I’m not 100% sure), the book that is important to read.

First of all, I agree with the statement how it is important for this book to be read, and for author’s voice to be heard.
This is one hugely important, disturbing book that represents not only people of color, but minority that we don’t get to read often about – teenagers in group home.

Honestly, I am afraid how I’m going to sound when I say this, but I will say it anyway: this novel reminded me how happy my life is. When I reflect and compare it to lives like ones I read about in this novel, to teenagers who yes, committed crimes during their lives, but are still alive and have to live with invisible “Scarlet letter” that follows them every where they go, without support of their families, in poverty and with someone else deciding about everything in their life, I understand how privileged I actually am.
And once again, I used the word I am really not a fan of, but there is no other word to say it better.

The story is told in first person, following Mary’s POV.
Beside Mary’s narration (and I have to state that Mary is one of the best narrators I had a pleasure to read about), there are bunch of newspaper articles, police interviews, excerpts from doctor’s papers and other similar stuff.

Reading Allegedly was thought provoking and emotional experience.
It definitely wasn’t easy.
Some scenes were violent and disturbing, some were harder to understand, some were extremely sad, but what hit me the most was how everyone underestimated Mary all the time.

I rooted for her, even though she never stated if she did it, if she killed the baby. She said she did, allegedly.
But yet, you as a reader don’t believe she would do such a thing. She does not seem like that kind of person.

The writing style is amazing, and I simply can not believe this is a debut novel.

One more thing I’d like to emphasize is the role of the State (here I mean criminal justice system and state foster care).
Mary’s (and other girls’) destiny depended so much on those two, that it feels like the State has it’s own personality.

There is one more thing we need to discuss: the last chapter.
I tried and tried to decide whether I like how this story ended.
At fist I was shocked, but resolved that I liked it.
Now, after some thinking, I wish the story ended differently.
Why?
Because, even though I understand why the writer chose to end the story the way she did, I can’t help but feel that some messages delivered through the story were (partly) erased with that conclusion.

Fun fact: When doing my research, I found out that this book was inspired by true event that happened in 2012, when 10 years old girl was charged with manslaughter of a three month old baby.

Read this and more reviews on my blog: http://bookdustmagic.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegedly.

Finished Reading
February 23, 2017 – Started Reading
February 25, 2017 – Shelved
February 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆ Prekrasan review, Irena! Ova knjiga definitivno nije za mene, ali mi je drago da se tebi svidjela :))

message 2: by NiCoLeTa E. (new)

NiCoLeTa E. Lovely review, my dear!!! <33

Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ Terrific review, Irena! xx

Irena Anna's Ramblings ☘ ͏͏ wrote: "Prekrasan review, Irena! Ova knjiga definitivno nije za mene, ali mi je drago da se tebi svidjela :))"

Hvala ti draga! Knjiga je dobra, ali pomalo teska pa shvacam zasto nije za svakoga.
U svakom slucaju jije me ostavila u veselom i pozitivnom raspolozenju, kao sto to obicno bude nakon sto procitam ljubic ili chick lit.

Irena NiCoLeTa E. wrote: "Lovely review, my dear!!! <33"

Thank you so much, darling! ^^ xx

message 6: by Irena (last edited Mar 04, 2017 01:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Irena Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Terrific review, Irena! xx"

Thank you so much, dear Arianna! :) xx

◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆ Irena wrote: "Anna's Ramblings ☘ ͏͏ wrote: "Prekrasan review, Irena! Ova knjiga definitivno nije za mene, ali mi je drago da se tebi svidjela :))"

Hvala ti draga! Knjiga je dobra, ali pomalo teska pa shvacam za..."

Onda to nije za mene... :)

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kyle Fab review Irena <3