Michelle's Reviews > Something in the Way

Something in the Way by Jessica Hawkins

bookshelves: arcs, absolute-favorites

Welcome back to the 90s, before the widespread use of email, texts and social media. Lake is 16 and in high school, with all the potential in the world for success with her father's grooming and getting accepted by USC is a high priority. Her older sister, Tiffany, is not quite as ambitious, but she's a definite attention seeker who lives by her own rules. The moment that Lake meets Manning, it's obvious that he's not like the other construction workers whom he works with, and the immediate connection isn't like this illuminating spark, but rather, a quietly lit flame that doesn't go unnoticed by either of them. I was instantly attached to both Lake and Manning and loved reading through both of their voices. Lake exudes this innocence and positivity while being intelligent, cautious and obedient. She has her own opinions, but she balances them with her actions, usually careful not to rock the boat because Tiffany does that quite a bit as it is. Manning is the type of hero who is burdened and scarred by his past, but his heart is complete gold. He is very protective of Lake in the most endearing way and is the type of guy who thinks before he speaks. Tiffany is a rather transparent character through the eyes of Lake and Manning. While I wasn't her biggest fan, Jessica Hawkins does a fantastic job of giving her layers, too, where underneath the superficial is a girl who needs to be loved for herself and not pushed away because of what she can't achieve. The delicate balance between Lake and Manning was very well done, they are well aware of their age difference and obstacles associated with it. The dialogue really highlights the personalities of all of the characters and certain scenes give so many strong feels of angst, tension, wistfulness, hard reality and the unfairness of life. And that ending! Because what do you do when you find the one you are meant to be with early in life and it's just not your time to be together yet for so many reasons? I can already tell that this series is going to put me through the wringer, but I welcome it because the writing is brilliant and the characters are so vivid. This will definitely be a top favorite series of mine.

*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something in the Way.

February 24, 2017 – Started Reading