Barbara (The Bibliophage)'s Reviews > Whatever Happened to Interracial Love?

Whatever Happened to Interracial Love? by Kathleen Collins

bookshelves: own-digital, 2017, diverse-authors, read-harder-2017

This collection of quiet, thoughtful stories is excellent. They offer an unvarnished picture of life in the 1960s, a time of unrest that straddled the ages. I happened to read the stories while I was also reading John Lewis's March Trilogy, and they are a wonderful complement to each other.

Collins offers the perspective of an African American woman, yet never letting race be the entire story. The stories are also about friendship, love, family, and making your way in a changing world.

I particularly love her descriptive language. For example, she says of one character "His children had grown up inside his sorrow." Or of the times, "It is a time that calls forth the most picturesque of metaphors, for we are swimming along in the mythical underbelly of America . . . there where it is soft and prickly, where you may rub your nose against the grainy sands of illusion and come up bleeding."

I'm so glad this previously hidden work has come to light!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whatever Happened to Interracial Love?.

February 25, 2017 – Shelved
February 25, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 25, 2017 – Shelved as: own-digital
March 13, 2017 – Started Reading
March 13, 2017 –
25.0% "The titular story is the perfect intersection with The March Trilogy. #readingsynchronicity"
March 13, 2017 –