River 's Reviews > True Colors

True Colors by Anyta Sunday

bookshelves: m-m, arcs

Marco and Oskar were neighbors and friends, they grew up together. Something happens in Marco's life that marks him and some time after his relationship with Oskar is damaged.

Years later Marco is studying (for the life of me I can't remember what) and he's preparing to move out of his dad's house. He still struggles daily with what happened in his past, he is scarred in more ways than one. He's still close to Oskar's family and they spend a lot of time together, this is how he finds out that Oskar is returning.

Oskar left years ago to study in another city, now that he is back he wants to fix his relationship with Marco but Marco can't finding it in himself to forgive him, his wounds haven't healed. Nobody knows what happened between them.

Marco's family has a tradition of a christmas play, Before Marco's mom died she was writing one and this year his dad decided to finally finished it and it's going to be the last one, a goodbye to her. There's just a catch, the play has two endings, one good and one bad. Marco and Oskar play the main characters, which ending are they going have in the end?

At the same time that this happening there is something else, their sexuality. When they were friends they were just teenagers, Marco had feelings for Oskar but Oskar had girlfriends and then he left. Now he's back and it turns out that he is gay and that's something Marco didn't expected even if he tries to ignore it because he hates Oskar.. right?

At first I didn't know what to think about this story, I didn't wanted Marco and Oskar's issues to be something dumb blown out of proportion but at the same time I didn't wanted an awful story because you do get attached to them or at least to Marco really fast. Their past was beautiful and sad but it wasn't overly dramatic, which is surprising because a lot of the story is Marco basically avoiding and hiding a lot of things and at the same time keeping all this resentment towards Oskar, but like I said the execution was done great.

I liked the secondary characters and the issues they had to deal with. There were very little flashbacks and that's something that I appreciated, because there was enough for me to understand their story but it wasn't too much that left me bored.
I found out there's novella about another couple that left me curious, I'm definitely checking that out.

I loved the color descriptions, that was what ultimately stole my heart. I wanted to keep reading and keep learning more about the colors. I liked how every chapter had a color of it's own and the colors were very present in the story. The epilogue was lovely.

**ARC provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Colors.

February 25, 2017 – Shelved
February 25, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 8, 2017 – Started Reading
March 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 10, 2017 – Shelved as: m-m
April 10, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, babe! ;)

Judith Fab review,sweetheart,x