annapi's Reviews > My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

bookshelves: fiction, fairy-tales

Seven-year-old Elsa is a bit different from other kids, so she gets picked on at school a lot. Her only friend is her beloved grandmother, who tells her fairy tales of a land she invented, called Miamas - and they even have a secret language. Elsa doesn't get along well with her mother, and her mother doesn't get along well with her mother (the aforementioned grandmother), and being pregnant with Elsa's half-sibling makes it all the more stressful. Elsa sees her dad only every other week, and he doesn't really understand her either.

When Elsa's grandmother dies, she leaves Elsa an envelope and instructions - it's an adventure, or a quest, and each completed task will lead to the next envelope. As Elsa tries to cope with her grief and goes through her tasks, reality starts to blend with her grandmother's fairy tale world as she meets and gets to know the people who live in their apartment building. Elsa slowly comes to realize her grandmother had a whole side to her that she never knew about.

My summary really doesn't do this story justice. When I started it I found it slow going, even a little boring, and rather confusing. Still, it was intriguing enough to keep on, especially as I was reading this for a game. Then as the little mysteries around Elsa slowly unfolded, the book became more and more delightful and by the end I had fallen in love with it. I think I still marginally like Ove better, but this is excellent in its own way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry.

February 21, 2017 – Started Reading