Anissa's Reviews > A Bed of Scorpions

A Bed of Scorpions by Judith Flanders

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, series, cozy-mystery, british-fiction-uk-ireland
Recommended for: cozy mystery fans especially those who like art or books

A good second installment of the Sam Clair series. I quite loved the first book and somehow missed this one when it came out. I liked it enough to read the next but not as much as I liked the first.

I found this one a little sluggish in places but I was able to suss out who the murderer was fairly early on. I couldn't believe I was correct after all the twists, turns & red-herrings. What I most liked about this one were all the bits about the publishing industry & of course, Sam's winsome personality (her inner dialogue is a hoot). I worried along with Sam and her colleagues over being subsumed by a publishing conglomerate. I learnt what colophons are and appreciated how they were pivotal in solving the mystery. The supporting characters were once again a delight. Helena, Sam's high powered attorney, Jake, Sam's DI boyfriend & Pavel, Sam's insightful, kind, one step away from a shut-in, upstairs neighbor all did their level best to help move this story along. We even got a new character in Sam's goth assistant (half-assistant by way of promotion by book's end) Melanie. Round this off with Sam making three trips to casualty after various "accidents" while she tries her best to stay out of the case and this was a pretty good read.

Recommended for sure and I hope the next it a little more brisk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bed of Scorpions.

February 24, 2017 – Started Reading