Raymond Mathiesen's Reviews > The Lost Knight

The Lost Knight by Candy Atkins

Feb 24, 2017

The Lost Knight (Lost Knight, #1) by Candy Atkins

The Lost Knight

The adventure of turning 13…

What if there was a doorway to another parallel world? What if that world was filled with tree dwelling fairies, castle dwelling elves, pegasus' and unicorns, and other strange creatures? What if magic was true? If you are intrigued by these questions this book is for you.

Agatha lives with faster parents in New York. She doesn't have much of anything and isn't exactly a social success. Nothing much of anything has happened in her quiet life. On her thirteenth birthday, though, things are about to take a very different track. Agatha wakes up and sees a strange creature in her bedroom. Could that really have been The Grimm Reaper that she saw and, if so, why wasn't she afraid of him?

Candy Atkins takes us on an epic adventure reminiscent of the novels of C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien. Agatha and her new friends wander over the land of Ashra in a quest to save it from the evil plans of Stratagor Ziras. Agatha seems to hold the key to defeating the enemy, but she must first decide if she is up to the cause and also learn something of this strange new land. As I say, this story is an epic, stretching over six volumes, so don't expect a complete story in this book: this is only the very beginning.

Typical of many 13 year old girls Agatha is emotional and talkative, and not quite sure of herself. We like her precisely because she is not the hero type: we can relate to her as a person. Despite her shortcomings, Agatha manages to pull through. Despite her fear, she shows courage.

This book is indeed about facing fear. If you have ever moved to a new school or a new neighbourhood you will understand the story well. It can be quite scary to leave the familiar behind and move into the complete unknown. The Lost Knight is also about discovering who you really are and who you will be: your talents and skills, what you will do with your life. At 13 these questions can seem almost fantasy, though they are very real. Teenagers are no longer children, but not quite adults either. The fantasy of what if becomes the reality of adult life.

This is definitely a girl's story, but there is plenty in it that imaginative boys will understand and like. I read mostly boy's books, but every so often I pick up a girl's book to expand my perspective. As you see this is one of them and I can honestly say that I enjoyed The Lost Knight and that it is worth five stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Knight.

February 18, 2017 – Started Reading