Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story

To Timbuktu by Steven  Weinberg

Jul 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: diaries, memoir, graphicnovels, non-fiction
Recommended to Lacey by: Booklist or School Library Journal
Recommended for: people who dream of traveling

This book is basically a combination graphic novel/journal/travelogue/memoir of a new relationship. Any of those elements alone wouldn't have been enough to make me pick it up, but with all of them thrown together, I was too intrigued to resist.

Essentially, a couple who met when they studied abroad and maintained a very long-distance (separate coasts) relationship for a year decided to spend two years together traveling through Asia and Africa. They documented the experience through writing (hers) and artwork (his). Steven's playful artwork and Casey's sense of humor are definitely highlights of the book, but both lose their impact a bit in the book's length, which seems to go on a bit too long after the novelty has worn off. Ironically, what most drew me to the book (the journal-like format) is also its downfall, as it really does feel more like just a "recording of events" without any clear narrative arc, and it was sometimes disappointing that the seemingly intimate format still keeps the reader at arm's length, especially when it comes to the relationship between Steven and Casey. I can understand both of these shortcomings, particularly the latter, as everyone has the right to protect the most personal details of their lives. Still, it left me wanting a little bit more. On the other hand, it's a GREAT way to travel vicariously and enjoy a far-off land WITHOUT getting the traveler's diarrhea!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Timbuktu.

July 30, 2011 – Started Reading
July 30, 2011 – Shelved
July 30, 2011 –
page 48
July 31, 2011 –
page 175
August 1, 2011 –
page 135
27.22% "Yes, I went backwards. I remembered which page I was on wrong."
August 10, 2011 –
page 166
August 16, 2011 –
page 206
41.53% "This is due back at the library on Saturday -- it's a race against time!"
August 22, 2011 –
page 326
page 406
page 406
81.85% "Due back at the library TODAY!!"
page 456
August 25, 2011 – Shelved as: diaries
August 25, 2011 – Shelved as: memoir
August 25, 2011 – Shelved as: graphicnovels
August 25, 2011 – Shelved as: non-fiction
August 25, 2011 – Finished Reading

The Once and Future King Lmao! It's always better to travel when you don't have to catch the diseases the people in books get.