Eric's Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

First let me say that I find it a bit weird that I hadn't realized how starved I was for books like this. I know I've always been a fan of the smart, witty, dark humored variety but really it hadn't occurred to me until I picked up the short story Death and Waffles (Necromancer: A Novella). Once I knew what I was getting myself into I pretty much as quickly as time (my bandwidth) would allow Audible to download the book for me started listening this and LOVING EVERY MINUTE!

I really liked (a) it wasn't all boy meets girl (b) everyone was still a person (c) even when things were crap there was still sarcasm on Sam's side :-) Honestly, I was so much of fan of this book I knew pretty much 20 minutes in that when it was over I was going to be so sad cause there wouldn't be any more to read. That said I'd start raided other peoples shelves on GR to find more books like it (thank you Flannery for Paranormalcy it's right up my alley).

Oh yeah that book, you've came here for a review right? This one's got everything, necromancers (...), vamps, shifters, even a harbinger (whom I hope you already know and love). Everyone is pretty much trying to get along, doing their own thing, living among all those boring humans. Having jobs and all (hehehe) except for this one badass who apparently has been killing not so random but pretty specifically in fact so until someone figures out what todo about that they're all up the creek...

Like I said it's fun and witty - with loads of fun moments that will have you laughing. I must say as for audiobooks this one is great because the voice of Sam has some artistic moments that shine. He really reads it very well. I won't spoil it for you but you definitely know where the emotion is.

Currently I'm still getting my dark humor fix but when Lish McBride finishes up whatever is next I will be sure to take the plunge no matter what it's about, I don't even care if it's about emo fluffy cotton balls in denial, I'll be there. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a definite recommendation to all who are curious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.

Quotes Eric Liked

Lish McBride
“No wonder I'd always felt lost. I actually was. The knowledge felt terrible, but in a strange way, it also felt good. Now I knew why I'd never connected to anything. Why I felt like I was outside the world around me, moving at a different speed from everyone else. That amputated piece of me explained everything, even why I'd failed at college. But that kind of blanket excuse can be dangerous. Crutches usually are.”

Lish McBride
“There were no windows in my bedroom, so I had to sit up and read my clock to figure out how angry I should be at my visitor. Eight A.M. I hated whoever woke me up. Had they come an hour earlier, I would have also hated their families and any household pets.”

Lish McBride
“Most people felt lost after high school. Sometimes I felt like I'd never really been found in the first place.”

Lish McBride
“Hi, my name is Ashley, and I’ll be your Harbinger today. I will be acting as an interim instructor for all your necromancy needs.” She flashed her best stewardess smile and gave a little Vanna wave.
“Ashley, as delighted as I am to meet you, don’t you think it might be hard to teach me? I’m in a cage that you can’t get into. Oh, and—” I grabbed the bars with both hands, “I’m a little distracted right now by the fact that I’m being held by a psychotic killer.”
Ashley cocked a single eyebrow, a look of mild amusement on her face. “Geez,” she said, looking at Brid. “Is he always this big of a drama queen?”

Lish McBride
“You want waffles?” I tried to keep the skepticism from my voice. “No firstborn or a pot of gold?”
“I’m not a leprechaun, Sam. And what would I do with a baby?” Her eyebrow shot back up, and she crossed her arms. “I want waffles. Take it or leave it.”
I glanced at Brid, who was staring at Ashley shrewdly.
“Let’s talk numbers,” she said. “Are we talking, like, twenty waffles all at once? Or a waffle a week for six months? What?”
“Every day for two years,” Ashley said.
“That’s outrageous,” Brid sputtered.”

Lish McBride
“On top of all that, you're naked. And while I'm going to hate myself for this later, could you put on some clothes? At least just for a little while, so I can think. Then you can go right back to being naked. All the time. With my full blessing.”

Lish McBride
“You have to ask it something it knew when it was alive. People don't become omniscient just because they have keeled over.”

Lish McBride
“So you're the guy who did the no-no cha-cha with my baby sister.”

Lish McBride
“Are we going where I think we are?” he asked.
“Hell, yeah,” I told him, turning the key in the ignition. I steered the car toward the highway that would take us to my mother’s house. “And I hope she’s got a few good answers.”
“I hope,” Ramon said, “that she’s made cookies.”
I glared at him.
“Don’t look at me like that. If we were going to interrogate my poor mother for whatever, you’d be secretly hoping she’d made you tamales. I’m just honest enough to admit it.”

Lish McBride
“Arriving on Bainbridge Island is the opposite of arriving in Seattle. When you got in your car and waited to unload off the ferry in Seattle, you saw the Space Needle, cars, and a mound of urban construction. Once you exit the ferry terminal on Bainbridge, however, it’s mostly trees. Pine as far as the eye can see. Well, pines, firework and coffee stands, and eventually a casino. You drive through the Port Madison Indian Reservation when you leave the island. I couldn’t help but smile as I went past the casino. I didn’t really get gambling, since I’d never had money to throw away, but as I passed through all the beautiful countryside that I’m sure once belonged to the tribe, I sort of hoped they would rob the white man blind. Perhaps not politically correct, but the feeling was there all the same.”

Lish McBride
“Can you just tell them we don’t need Jesus, Girl Scout cookies, or whatever the Mormons worship, and let me lie here in peace?”

Lish McBride
“When it came to music, I was omnivorous.”

Lish McBride
“Despite her obvious stress, my mom still managed to pour the hot chocolate into mugs, cover them with whipped cream and a pinch of cayenne, and add a cinnamon stick to them. She was like the Jedi master of hot chocolate.”

Lish McBride
“I wanted to howl until I was nothing but sound.”

Lish McBride
“You know what the great thing about babies is? They are like little bundles of hope. Like the future in a basket.”

Lish McBride
“Mrs. Winalski owned a candy-apple-red 1965 Mustang GT convertible, and she drove it like she could die at any minute and needed to get five things done before that happened.”
tags: car, die, funny

08/01 page 1
0.0% "loving this... every minute... I can already see the future, when this book is done I'm going to be so sad :-("
08/01 page 2
1.0% "I know a lot of it is McBride's doing but I think everyone owes it to themselves to listen to Jonathan Todd Ross read Sam."
08/03 page 3
1.0% "What exactly is James? No one else is curious?"
08/03 page 4
1.0% "Ashley!!!"
08/03 page 5
1.0% "“What would you like?” “Waffles,” “What?” “And not the frozen kind, either. The good kind. With fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and real maple syrup. None of that compote garbage.” <3"
04/06 marked as: read

Flannery Success! Another reader wooed to the dark side. Er, the YA paranormal quasi-urban fantasy side would be more accurate. But I think we can all agree that "the dark side" always sounds more badass. Glad you liked this one!

Eric Seriously I loved this book. I don't know how I'm going to wait until NEXT YEAR for the next part. I don't understand how some authors seem to come out of nowhere and blow your mind like this. So not complaining though, let her keep this hits coming :-)