Alanna King's Reviews > The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set

The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set by Lev Grossman

bookshelves: fantasy, mental-health

Do you remember how you felt at the end of the Harry Potter books...you couldn't believe it was all over? Lev Grossman's world renderings have left me feeling like I have been to another world and back again. Truthfully, I didn't start enjoying Harry Potter as an adult until we got to #3 The Prisoner of Azkaban and things took a turn to the darker. Well, Grossman starts you with that delicious darkness right away by following the angsty college-age characters into the pits of their binge-drinking, malaise, and their general feelings of invincibility. It took me awhile to get Quentin Coldwater, our protagonist, as he begins as such an unlikeable character: weak, needy, low self-esteem and perpetually whinging. Hanging in there with Quentin means you get to enjoy Grossman's foils: Julia, Eliot, Alice, Janet, Penny and Plum. Each of his friends is suprisingly complex and I looked forward to every encounter. Grossman isn't gentle with his readers...he expects you to have a well-versed lexicon of pop culture and regularly twists icons of the fantasy world to his will. This is a reader's book. There may even be an encyclopedia on The Magicians' Lore and Easter Eggs out there somewhere....and if not then someone needs to conjure one. Of course I loved the Neitherlands' library most and I'd like to spend some real time there if I just had the right button.

I think Grossman may be ahead of his time, combining this almost dystopian and back again version of the typical fantasy quest with very real struggles with mental health themes, the continuous search for identity and enough modern slang to quickly date this book. I will recommend it to everyone but I'm not sure it will suit everyone's taste as it breaks all sorts of archetypal rules. And readers like their archetypes.

On a side note: I am not particularly enjoying the casting of Quentin Coldwater in the TV series and actually my favourite actor is the one playing Penny, who is grossly underused in Grossman's The Magicians. Maybe Mr. Grossman will reward my loyalty by writing a spin-off series just about Penny? Or Plum...she's awesome too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set.

August 1, 2016 – Started Reading