Becky Rendon's Reviews > Something in the Way

Something in the Way by Jessica Hawkins

liked it

So here's the thing- This is book one of three. It gives you the beginning of a story. It leads you on a path. An awkward, questionable, and twisty stomach filled with doubt kind of path. Just when you are about to get to a destination, you are ripped off course by a tornado.

So the question: did I like the book?
The answer: I don't know.

Manning has some behavior that leaves me with unease. Tiffany makes me want to beat her head in. Lake, poor Lake, has no idea that 16 is very far from adult.

Three lives uniquely woven together by the odd circumstance of a temporary job. Manning's construction job puts him adjacent to the two very different girls. Both peak his interest but for different reasons.

I thought this couldn't get any more universally f-ed up but believe me IT DOES. Manning is just a poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks. It seems everyone wants to keep him there.

So did I like it? I still am not sure. I don't like what happened but life happens...so...
Do I like the awkwardness? No but I understand it.
Do I understand his reasoning? Yes but it still makes me uncomfortable and that was probably the point.

When I read the blurb, I was wary. I wasn't even sure I could like it. I think I do but that will all depend on the rest of the trilogy.

reviewed for Sweet Spot Sisterhood

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something in the Way.

February 23, 2017 – Started Reading
February 23, 2017 – Shelved
February 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Raquell Barton I think you pulled my thoughts right out of my head. I finished reading this book last night. I went to bed irritated and woke up still irritated with these characters. I understand the love story is supposed to be "taboo" but I don't think that's enough to make me want to read more to find out what happens.