orangerful's Reviews > Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case

Loving vs. Virginia by Patricia Hruby Powell

Mar 01, 2017

bookshelves: historical_fiction, poetry, youngadult, ya_with_adult_appeal

I didn't realize this was a novel in verse when I ordered it, but as I had just finished another fantastic book in verse, I decided to read it. I am so glad I did. The book and the illustrations weave a beautiful story about two people in love, just trying to live their lives while a racist world spins around them. The story is told alternating voices between Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter Loving. The focus is on their relationship and personal suffering more than the actual Civil Rights case.

Powell conducted interviews and did lots of research to make the story as real as possible. I was really impressed and highly recommend this title. Sadly, it is still relevant in 2017. As we struggle for equality for all, it is good to read a story like that, about the people behind the headlines and what they might think or feel. The Lovings did not set out to be the poster couple for interracial marriage, they just wanted to be able to live their lives, unafraid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving vs. Virginia.

February 23, 2017 – Started Reading
February 23, 2017 – Shelved
February 24, 2017 –
page 122
46.92% "I did not know this was in verse! It's a quick read already."
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: historical_fiction