Karina Read's Reviews > The Girl in The Tower

The Girl in The Tower by Katherine Arden

liked it

Unfortunately i didn’t enjoy this one as much as the first. The first two thirds were quite drawn out and a little bit boring... we didn’t have the excellent religious tension that we had in the slower parts of the first book to fall back on here and i noticed it’s absence. It did pick up again in the final third, with the reveal of more characters from Russian folklore - i enjoyed this but i did assume that would be the case after the introduction of that character earlier in the book so even the exciting bits were predictable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in The Tower.

February 23, 2017 – Shelved
February 23, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 21, 2018 – Started Reading
May 21, 2018 –
May 23, 2018 –
49.0% "Can’t say i’m enjoying this as much as the first..."
May 29, 2018 –
79.0% "Nooow we’re getting somewhere. Been disappointed with this one so far, fingers crossed the ending makes it worth it"
May 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ella (new) - added it

Ella Oh no! I have been dying to read this one. Was it generally more boring that the first one? Maybe it´s the second book curse?

Do you think you will continue with the series?

Karina Read Ella wrote: "Oh no! I have been dying to read this one. Was it generally more boring that the first one? Maybe it´s the second book curse?

Do you think you will continue with the series?"

I hope you like it! It was still written well, but I definitely think a lot of it was boring. At least the tension between Vasya and the villagers/her step mother in the first kept it interesting in the quieter sections. I found it predictable and it grated how often Vasya was called ugly and bad things just *kept* happening - it felt too contrived and got a bit annoying. I think if it had focussed on the new aspects of folklore she brought in from the start it may have been stronger, hope you like it though!! I’m not sure about the third....maybe! :)