Steph ☀️'s Reviews > Necessary Medicine

Necessary Medicine by M.K. York

bookshelves: gay-book-reviews, college, pre-med, real-life, doctor, mm_contemporary, z-read-in-2017

***4.25 stars***

Note to the reader: There are a few medical acronyms and jargon throughout the story. So, if you do not like looking up words occasionally, this may not be the book for you.

Okay I'm probably the outlier here, but I really enjoyed this book. Call me crazy, but I am still going to call this a romance. It might not be the cookie cutter romance that you're use to, but it is there. So, if you haven’t guess it yet this is a very slow burn. In addition, don’t expect any 'one and dones’ because: A) there is no time for that and B) it really doesn’t suit Neil’s character.

As the author takes us through eight plus years of Neil’s life we get to know his small group of friends and his family when he has time to visit them. We get to know his likes, dislikes, temperament, snarkiness and insecurities. And through it all we get to know a few of the other characters like Bob and Mark, that influence his life. Through all of this, the author does a good job getting the reader to understand how hectic and time-consuming it is for a med student/resident. How hard it is to have a relationship and to have said relationship survive.

The story is told from Neil’s perspective. So, while we might not know every single thought that goes through Eli’s head about his feelings towards Neil; we can see it through his actions. From when they first ‘meet’ up until their first kiss; it is there. It does get a bit angsty, but it works well with this story. I do understand the reason for Eli’s hesitation. However, when something happens to someone he is close to, he has an awaking so to speak. From that point on he doesn't look back. Every single moment between Neil and Eli is right there. It might not be spelled out for you and in flashing lights, but it’s there. When you read about the whiteboard, you will understand.

After everything Neil and Eli have gone through, they do indeed get their HEA; which was beautifully written. Just remember every love story isn’t the same. Because if it were, wouldn't life be boring?

This is M.K. York's debut novel, and I for one will be keeping an eye out on future works by this author.

I am one of many reviewers at Gay Book Reviews and can be found here: http://gaybook.reviews/author/steph/

I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Necessary Medicine.

February 21, 2017 – Started Reading