LeAnne: GeezerMom's Reviews > Caleb's Crossing

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks

This felt like Atonement crossed with Puritan history-lite and dusted with a sprinkling of chick lit. Not a bad combo, but also not something I would have sought. The audiobook popped up for free, and I grabbed it.

Having had zero idea of what this novel was about, it was surprising to find myself on Martha's Vineyard in the mid 1600s. The somewhat stilted and old-fashioned language was quite beautifully rendered and easy to follow. The author appeared to have done a fine job showing how females and American Indians were treated during that time period, however not being a history buff myself, I have no way of judging how accurate these portrayals were. The fact that the young woman protagonist of the story was so strong headed that she was permitted to wait years to marry seemed a little hard to swallow, but what do I know?

The book seemed oddly titled to me because Caleb was not the main character, however I have come to understand that the book was marketed on the fact that there really was at Harvard a program to educate Native Americans. Of course, Caleb was one of these. Perhaps "Witness to Caleb's Crossing" might have fit better as the book is portrayed as a series of diary entries made by a Puritan girl whose chance meeting with an American Indian boy set in motion the action of the book that covers the next 50 or 60 years.

Not bad. Not great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caleb's Crossing.

February 23, 2017 – Started Reading
February 23, 2017 – Shelved
February 23, 2017 –
20.0% "Puritan gal goes native in secret. Hmm."
February 28, 2017 –
65.0% "Not bad. I keep reading, but it isnt really my genre of choice."
March 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes I liked this one a lot more than you, but then I do love history, and Brooks does a lot of background research for her books. I've read all of her others.

LeAnne: GeezerMom She does a really nice job, but her style just doesn't match with my tastes. I have read to others of hers and felt the same way. Good reading for me, just not great.