Barry Pierce's Reviews > Catch-22

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

bookshelves: 20th-century, read-in-2015

I have had Catch-22 on my bookshelf for years. It was one of those novels that I've said, "oh I'll get around to that in 2012". It didn't happen. "Maybe 2013". Nope. And so on until just a couple of days ago. I've got to stop putting books off.

Rarely has a piece of literature ticked so many of my boxes. Satire, farce, gallows humour, irreverence, it's as if this book were written entirely for me. I loved every word on every page of this book. I cannot find a single miniscule fault anywhere within the narrative or the prose or the characterisation or the flow or the humour. I can say without any hesitation that Catch-22 is a perfect novel. It was love at first sight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch-22.

July 30, 2011 – Shelved
September 6, 2014 – Started Reading
September 6, 2014 –
page 120
July 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Camilla (new) - added it

Camilla Looking forward to your review on this one!

message 2: by Danny (new)

Danny Newcombe Barry, the year is a little more than halfway over and you've already given 2 books five stars. You're mellowing in your old age.

Gaurav Barry Pierce, to me, it remains one of the best 'Black Comedy' novels I have read.

Wardatul So glad you liked this!

Sarah I agree and felt exactly like you right after I read it!

bitmaid Say "perfect"- that's my word too! Yep loved every word on every page, I feel exactly the same!

Tina In complete agreement Barry. Due to space, I have to be very picky about which books remain on our book shelves after reading. Catch-22 has earned it's place there!

message 8: by Sana Khan (new) - added it

Sana Khan Finally found a review that does not mention how the reviewer suffered through it.. it is a gem... I'm going through it the second time... It's just perfect!