Bogdana's Reviews > Wonder Woman: Warbringer

Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo

Rating: 4.5 OWLS

Leigh Bardugo did it again!!! There’s a reason that all of Leigh Bardugo’s books are always so hyped up; she can do no wrong. Wonder Woman: Warbringer was the first book that departed the Grishaverse and I believe with it she proves that no matter what she writes it’s going to be amazing. Bardugo is a remarkable storyteller with outstanding world building skills and an impressive ability to develop unforgettable characters.

Leigh Bardugo has said before that she is a huge Wonder Woman fan and I believe this novel shows just how much she wanted to do Diana’s story justice. Even though Diana’s story has many different iterations throughout the years and many different comics series, I feel that Leigh still managed to give her a unique voice.

Alia is a Warbringer, a descendant of Helen of Troy who is fated to bring doom to humanity. There is a huge burden that she carries on her shoulders and her journey of growth throughout this book is amazing. I really can’t say much more about her without spoiling her story and journey, but I can say that she was absolutely incredible. She is easy to love and root for; her building friendship with Diana was beautifully written.

In addition to Diana and Alia, we were introduced to a cast of characters that had me laughing out loud at times. Nim is Alia’s best friend and one of my favorites in the story, she is strong, extremely funny, and pretty much everything you could ever hope and wish for in a best friend. We also meet Jason, Alia’s overprotective big brother and Theo who is Jason’s best friend and the comedic relief the story needed. All the characters in her story were very well developed, but I especially loved the diversity of the cast. I truly believe that one of the reasons Leigh is one of my favorite authors is because of her ability to get you completely invested in her characters.

I was blown away by the amount of detailed information Bardugo included in her story. There was a lot of Greek mythology that was beautifully woven into the story which takes place in modern day New York and Greece. All the Greek mythology included was very well explained and relevant and wasn’t overwhelming in the slightest. The pace she set for the novel was great; there was a lot of fast paced action, but somehow Leigh Bardugo managed to sometimes slow the story enough to allow characters to grow and form strong relationships. The ending was astonishing with major twists that I did not see coming. Overall this was a super fun read and it further solidified my belief that if Leigh Bardugo writes it, I will read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman.

February 23, 2017 – Shelved