Juliana Philippa's Reviews > The Bad Luck Bride

The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor

DNF'd at ~25%
Started this book in March 13th, was only at 23% by the 21st ... and now I'm just folding and moving on. Too many books, too little time, and despite the fact that this was an ARC and I normally try and read those cover to cover so I can give a complete review, I just couldn't make myself finish this.

This is my first book by Janna MacGregor and don't know whether it will be my last. Always want to give authors a second try, but this one was really painful and I kept on getting annoyed (in case my status updates didn't give you the hint, lol).

The premise made no sense; the hero kind of starts the entire thing as an asshole, given his manipulations; their sudden connection was way over the top and didn't make sense given what had happened thus far (or rather, what hadn't—i.e. nothing, because they just got together!!); wasn't historically accurate (no way would they go to the theater together, no chaperone, engaged or not); and last but definitely not least, because this kept on coming up as an issue actually, was that it was so sickly, ridiculously sweet. Guess I kind of already covered this in my third complaint, but it just made no sense why they have this sudden bone-deep connection and one stupid gesture or word "brings him respite from his sorrow"—what?! What are you talking about??

So yeah. I'm giving up about a quarter of the way in, sorry friends. Didn't read very much of it, so is it fair to write a review? I think so, because the reason I didn't finish it was because I was so not getting into it!! And quite the reverse; it was painful to get through what I did manage to read. ... Ugh, it's reviews like these where I hope the author doesn't read all of the GR reviews for her books. #awkward

*This review is of an ARC provided by Net Galley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Luck Bride.

February 23, 2017 – Shelved
February 23, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 23, 2017 – Shelved as: net-galley
February 23, 2017 – Shelved as: advance-reading-copy-or-galley
March 13, 2017 – Started Reading
March 13, 2017 –
7.0% "Not feeling this too much yet. My first book by this author. Fingers crossed ..."
March 13, 2017 –
9.0% "He's the hero so we're supposed to be ok with his high-handedness, but ... yeah, not cool."
March 13, 2017 –
11.0% "What? This devotion seems way too early and not at all deserved yet"
15.0% "Not liking this"
15.0% "Not liking this"
March 14, 2017 –
16.0% "Ridiculous this concern that she'd be a laughingstock if he had a mistress and people knew it; that was common."
March 14, 2017 –
17.0% "Syrupy and sickly sweet so far :-|"
March 21, 2017 –
23.0% "Ummmm ... going to the theater, just the two of them, with no chaperone? ...?! Not in that day and age!"
March 21, 2017 –
22.0% "Seems out of place"
23.0% "Rolling my eyes
"He straightened and wordlessly placed his hand over hers and gently squeezed. The movement was so subtle that no one in the theater would have noticed the gesture. However, it told her volumes. Her sentiment had brought him a respite from the sorrow." Just bc she said she wished she'd known his sister better? Come on"
March 21, 2017 –
23.0% "What?? What does the curse have to do with that?
... Sorry. Am really not getting into this book"
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: did-not-finish
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: ebook-digital-copy
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-reads
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-june-reads
June 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Christina ~ Brunette Reader Great, useful review, Juliana!
I decided to pass on this one due to the not so good reviews also from other friends on here, though I would have liked to try a new author, so I'll keep her name in mind for the next books in the series.

Juliana Philippa Thanks! Glad it was helpful ... always hate writing bad/DNF reviews, and I don't know if it's that I've finally started to run out of new and backlist romances to read or whether I'm just in a slump right now, but I've had several duds recently. :-(

Juliana Philippa Christina ~ Brunette Reader wrote: "Great, useful review, Juliana!

An update: Book 2 was better, but not by much, but Book 3 finally hit it out of the park!!. So I would recommend skipping the first two and going straight to The Luck of the Bride .