Jennifer's Reviews > Somos como las nubes / We Are Like the Clouds

Somos como las nubes / We Are Like the Clouds by Jorge Argueta

bookshelves: poetry

“He is the boss. He is the one who tells the gang, Hit this one, hit that one. I don’t want to be this one or that one.” This quote stood out to me while reading, Somos como las nubes/We Are Like the Clouds. I found it very telling as to how a child is feeling and how scary new places can be.

Somos como las nubes/We Are Like the Clouds is an English/Spanish poetry book, and was honored for the 2017 ALA Notable Books for Children award. This book has the poems in English and Spanish on each page. The poems document a child, who is immigrating to the United States. Each page has one to three short poems, telling about different parts of the trip. These poems include the events and how the immigrants are feeling. The focus is the hardship and challenges they come across while making this scary journey, searching for a better life.

This diverse book has many tools within the text to help readers further understand the information in each poem. At the bottom of the pages, there is information with the meaning of certain vocabulary words, to help the reader understand the meaning of words. In the beginning and end of the book, there is information about the credibility of the author, and how the author’s real life experiences helped to develop the ideas for this book. The illustrations are simple, realistic, and portray people how the might have been feeling at the time of their travels. This book would be appropriate for 3rd to 5th grade students. The content and vocabulary used would be appropriate for middle-elementary students. Themes in this text are diversity, perseverance, and hardship. This text could be used to teach poetry, or in social studies to teach about immigration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somos como las nubes / We Are Like the Clouds.

Finished Reading
February 22, 2017 – Shelved
February 22, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 22, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: poetry

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Kristin I also reviewed this book this week. I agree that many of the poems throughout this book portrayed the fear and danger that many children face when immigrating to the United States. I like the quote that you used—I think that it helps to depict how frightening this experience can be. I also thought that the poems of missing family members and remembering the life that they left behind (their school, teacher, siblings, and parents) would be poems with which students could connect. I think that these poems are a great way to help provide insight into the experiences of immigration.

message 2: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie This book seems to have everything! It is in two languages, it teaches about diverse experiences, includes poetry, and seems to be somewhat autobiographical. I think it's great that the author included so many aids for readers. The inclusion of vocabulary words will be very helpful for readers. Additionally, the addition of the authors own experiences will help students connect to the text.

Thanks for sharing.