Becky's Reviews > Definitely Not Mr. Darcy

Definitely Not Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary

Two and a half stars, really--and that's really just based on the very beginning and end. All throughout the middle this one was a solid two...which is sad, really, because I was so looking forward to reading this one. The blurb sounded great. The reviews were pretty decent. My favorite t-shirt is my "It is a truth universally acknowledged that Jane Austen kicks ass" one. All the signs were good. This book should have been a four or five star one for me--but it wasn't. Mostly it was Chloe--I just couldn't stand her most of the time, and really didn't care all that much what happened to her whiny self. For the last third of the book, she was amazed at least once per chapter that--oh, my gosh!--she was falling for Sebastian! No, for Henry! No, for both of them! That was not supposed to happen! My goodness! I kept reading mostly because I had waited for it from the library for so long (thank goodness I didn't buy it!) and because I really hate to give up on a book. It did get marginally better at the end--I have to admit, though I did have the feeling that something wasn't right, I didn't know what exactly it was until it was revealed--but honestly, the best part of the ending was that now I could read something else without the guilt of leaving a book unfinished.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Definitely Not Mr. Darcy.

July 30, 2011 – Shelved