MrsJoseph's Reviews > King of the Murgos

King of the Murgos by David Eddings

Feb 27, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, 2017-reading-challenges, amazing-amazingness, fantasy, re-read
Read 8 times. Last read May 14, 2017 to May 18, 2017.

Yet again I profess my love for all things Belgariad and Mallorean.

And yet again I'm struck by the unfairness(?)/casual Misogyny(?) in this beloved series.

One of the big personal issues that pop up in this book is Silk's parents. Silk's mom was "the most beautiful woman of her generation" until a pestilence came through the town. She was struck blind and horribly disfigured by the sickness...but they act like her fucking brain was eaten instead.

Silk drinks himself into insensibility whenever he has to see/talk to him mom - because no one lets her know how ugly she is now. WTF, people.

"A pestilence breaks out in Drasnia from time to time. It disfigures its victims horribly. My mother was blinded by its effects, fortunately."

"Fortunately?"

"She couldn't look into a mirror. Our father stayed by her side for the rest of his life and never once gave any hint about what he saw when he looked at her." Silk's face was bleak, and his jaws were tightly clenched together. "It was the bravest thing I've ever seen any man do - and it was all the worse because it went on and on and on until the day he died."

-pg 471 omnibus edition

Is she missing part of her face or something???! Did she grow devil horns?? Cause I don't understand how someone you love becoming ugly and staying with them is called brave. Why is she being ugly such a big deal??? That gives me the impression that the only worth they saw in Silk's mother was her beauty. Which is so terribly sad.

"My Pol!" Belgarath exulted, catching her in a rough embrace. "Gods, what a son you'd have made!"

"I'm your daughter, Belgarath," she replied simply, "but could any son have done better?"

"No, Pol." He laughed suddenly, crushing her to him and soundly planting a kiss on her rain-wet cheek. "Not one bit."

They stopped, startled and even a little embarrassed that the enormous love they had each tried to conceal for millennia had finally come out into the open on this storm-swept beach here at the bottom of the world. Almost shyly they looked at each other and then, unable to hold it in, they began to laugh.

- pg 495-496 omnibus edition

A son? Really??

Polgara is...the epitome of womanhood in this series. Polgara is:
-the most powerful sorceress alive
-the most beautiful alive
-one of the greatest healers alive
-Richer than whole kingdoms
-so wise that everyone comes to her to talk
-a loving nurturer
-an excellent cook - if not one of the best in the world
-an excellent seamstress
-the ONLY female disciple of a GOD

But he says "a son."

Favorite quote:

"After breakfast, Polgara put on her blue cloak and went out on deck. The Murgo captain changed his plans almost as soon as she began to speak to him. Then he climbed the mainmast and spent the rest of the morning with the lookout in the wildly swaying crow's nest high aloft."
-pg 481 omnibus edition

I love Polgara.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of the Murgos.

April 23, 2011 – Started Reading
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: re-read
February 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 14, 2017 – Started Reading
May 14, 2017 –
10.0% "The old man was peering intently at the shelves. "I'll have to admit that he's a very competent scholar."
" Isn't he just a librarian?" Garion asked, somebody who looks after books?"
"That's where all the rest of scholarship starts, Garion. All the books in the world won't help you if they're just piled up in a heap."
P328 omnibus edition"
May 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Chowdory Yeah I don't think that there are parts of this that hold up especially well these days. The casual sexism and misogyny make for uncomfortable reading.

MrsJoseph Natasha wrote: "Yeah I don't think that there are parts of this that hold up especially well these days. The casual sexism and misogyny make for uncomfortable reading."

Truth. I can't say it doesn't bother me - but I've been reading (and re-reading) this series for 10 years. I can't stop!

message 3: by Harryo (new)

Harryo Fun review, and doesn't sound like my kind of book but the part about the Margo captain changing plans after she speaks with him reminds me of Eddie Izzard's multiple phaser settings shtick, which never fails to send me into transports of delight.

MrsJoseph lol!

One of my favorite parts - though there's also a great part where Polgara fools a huge group of guys with some illusions.

message 5: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I think the misogyny was there not because of David supporting it but because of fantasy/medieval attitudes towards women that were being challenged. The example of being a son is a prime example of that, Eddings I think is well aware that Pol is superior to everyone else in the series, but uses that to highlight the bias people have towards "sons". Even the best woman in the world isn't considered good enough in a sexist society.

MrsJoseph Nope! Don’t think that at all. Eddings created a stereotype and he used those same characters over and over again. He just changed the names. Eddings has no real well crafted female characters.

message 7: by Mel (last edited May 31, 2018 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel So when the Queens were running things in the Belgariad when the men went to war and some of the Kings were complaining how that wasn't something women should do, and the others thought they were un-enlightened. You think Eddings was on the side of the unenlightened Kings? I think he was criticising the sexism within their society not supporting it.

MrsJoseph I don’t agree at all. It was one scene and one situation in 10 books. That does not make up for the other transgressions. But I appreciate the fact that you feel it works for you. While I love this series, I see it very clearly and ...women are NOT Eddings strong point

MrsJoseph Sorry. 12 books.