Darque Dreamer 's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Michelle Bryan

Feb 24, 2017

bookshelves: top-reads

Prepare to be taken on a dangerous journey of self discovery, the search for answers, and the awakening of a new power. Awaken gives us a "Wizard of Oz" like story with the introduction of a character as strong and as symbolic as the "Mockingjay." You will be inspired and impressed by our heroine Tara. Your heart will melt for the lovable Finn. You will feel wonder and suspicion toward Tater, and will fall in love with Jax.

I was immediately drawn in to the story by Tara's connection with Grada and Rivercross. With the style of writing in the book, I felt like I was in Tara's mind, experiencing and feeling everything she went through. I was heartbroken in losing Grada and Rivercross and determined to find answers alongside our heroine. When Tara comes across Finn, I couldn't help but fall in love with him and look at him like a little brother. Tater made for an interesting "jester" of sorts in the story. I was suspicious of him and yet was intrigued by his story telling and humorous manner. I enjoyed how Tara's power awakened each time she felt heavy stress, fear, or anger. It seemed so real and powerful! Upon meeting Jax, I first felt tension and anger toward him, but as the story goes on and his true character is revealed, I found myself falling for him and secretly wanting there to be some sort of romance there.

The journey made by these characters is intense and dangerous. The obstacles faced and the surprising twists really keep you on the edge of your seat. I cannot wait to read the next book and find out what happens when Tara finally embraces her fate and her power and decides to go after the Prezedant.

Thank you to Net Galley for providing this e-book in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.

February 21, 2017 – Started Reading