ambsreads's Reviews > Godsgrave

Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, high-fantasy, magic, best-covers

Harper Voyager Australia sent me a review copy in exchange for my honest thoughts. All thoughts are my own

HAPPY RELEASE DAY TO GODSGRAVE IN AUSTRALIA. Y'ALL NEED THIS SERIES IN YOUR LIFE

This review (and others) is also featured on my blog in much better formatting.

WARNING THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR BOOK ONE, NEVERNIGHT. HOWEVER, THIS REVIEW WILL HAVE NO SPOILERS FOR GODSGRAVE.

R A M B L E

I loved Nevernight. I’ve made that pretty clear since I read it. I also love Assassin’s and murder, something I don’t think I’ve made clear enough. So, obviously, Godsgrave was exactly this and more. If you loved Nevernight, you will adore Godsgrave because it is everything and more. I was even more excited when I was told I would get the opportunity to receive and review this book. I have never been lucky in my life, but in that moment I think I was the luckiest I’ve ever been.

I went in with high expeditions and every single one was met. The beginning was slow, but I feel like that’s the way Kristoff writes – reals you in with a false sense of security and then stabs you in the eye with feels after the first hundred pages. If you can stick around with that for both books it will be worth it.

It was also clear to see how Mia had grown throughout this book. It got a bit confusing in some places, but by the end, I was cheering for our anti-hero and blood covered girl. I felt some things with her character could have been improved but I’m sure it will come in the final book.

I just have so much love for this series. I can’t even begin to describe it. It’s truly everything I want and need in a book.

P L O T

The plot was intense. Mia is now a Blade after the events in Nevernight and is now followed by two daemons, Mr Kindly (her original shadow cat) and Eclipse (a shadow wolf). The pair drink her fear and make it so she is able to go into situations that would normally have people shitting their pants and come out victorious.

We expand a lot on the revenge plot that was created in book one, adding more names to her enemies list and discovering all is not what it seems to be. It was wild, to put it in one word. The side character also make this book. I won’t name names because that’s a major spoiler and if y’all are as big of a Nevernight fan as me you’ll be pissed if I spoiled it. Trust me, you’ll be shocked with this addition to the plot.

Basically, the plot is even more exciting than the first. Mia is no longer training and is willing to murder anyone who gets in her way. It’s difficult to explain it in any other way without giving away spoilers because truly you need to read this book and reach the end.

This series is just so badass, it’s amazing. I’m both nervous and excited to see what Jay Kristoff will be doing for the final book. I have no doubt I will be back screaming and crying like I was at the end of Godsgrave.

Seriously, make sure you know someone who has read this book because you will want to scream.

C H A R A C T E R S

#M I A

Mia is one of my favourite characters. Ironically, I’m compared most to her and Nesta from A Court of Thorns and Roses. I’m not sure what that says about me. Whatever though, I adore Mia. She’s kickass and in this book she goes through some serious growth. The character development blows me away.

Mia goes through more than just the classic revenge; she learns about her sexuality, deals with grief and discovers things about herself and others she had never anticipated. The way she deals with them is so beyond realistic that I could barely separate reality from the book. I related to a lot of emotions and feelings in this book. I think Jay Kristoff tackles these issues well, though I can’t speak too much on the representation of sexuality it seemed to work seamlessly with the plot (I will keep an eye out for reviews from people speaking on the rep to include here).

I should also mention, I loved the romance. I wasn’t sure I was going to, but I quickly grew to love it as the book progressed and find myself rooting for the pair.

However, Mia isn’t afraid to do what she has to. This may be murder or simply having to make a decision. It was interesting to see what choices she made; both in her eyes and the eyes of others.

O V E R A L L

Jay Kristoff creates the world that I would not like to live in but I would I adore reading about. The snarky footnotes, the gruesome murder, the smut that makes me uncomfortable to be reading the book on the couch in front of my family…all equal a fabulous read that I can’t help but rave about.

I can’t wait to read the final book in this series, I know it is going to completely shatter me but after the cliffhanger that this book left me on I have serious grabby hands. I also can’t wait to find out who the narrator is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godsgrave.

February 21, 2017 – Shelved
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: magic
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: best-covers
August 29, 2017 –
page 1
0.22% "i would like to thank harper collins australia for sending me a copy. i'll package all my tears and return them in exchange."
August 30, 2017 – Started Reading
August 30, 2017 –
page 65
14.51% "i'm trying so hard to savour this but i just want to read it all omg"
August 31, 2017 –
page 165
36.83% "i'm hoping to finish this tomorrow because i'll finally have time! so far this is amazing omg"
August 31, 2017 –
page 227
50.67% "i hate how much i ship it"
September 1, 2017 –
page 300
66.96% "this honestly isn't as good as the first one but i'm loving it omg"
September 1, 2017 –
page 357
79.69% "DONT YOU HATE WHEN YOU REALLY WANT TO FINISH A BOOK BUT YOU CANT KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN?! I HATE MYSELF FOR IT RN"
September 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) this is such a visceral description but honestly? mood

Caitlin Please don't sell me. You need me

ambsreads Elise wrote: "this is such a visceral description but honestly? mood"

I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to commit murder tbh

ambsreads Caitlin wrote: "Please don't sell me. You need me"

I may need this book more

Caitlin i hate you

ambsreads i love you

ambsreads don't forget our wedding cake will have dicks you can't hate me

Caitlin OUR FUCKING WEDDING CAKE

message 10: by Zain (new)

Zain Otoom Why do I have a feeling that you're half joking? 😂

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

i really liked my internal body parts, i'd like to keep them

Meeghan Did you see Jay's blog post giving away 10 ARC UK/AUS cover autographed copies?