Tracy's Reviews > The Grove of Eagles

The Grove of Eagles by Winston Graham

207835

liked it

Winston Graham's historical novel of Elizabethan England is not his best, but is still better than most contemporary historical fiction. The male protagonist in this novel did not engage my imagination as well as other novels. Graham seems better at female characters, for whatever reason. I skimmed the third quarter of the novel, but the early part of the story and the conclusion were good reading. Plenty of historical figures including Walter Raleigh, the Earl of Essex, the Cecils, and the Howards. 3 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grove of Eagles.

February 21, 2017 – Started Reading
February 21, 2017 – Shelved
February 21, 2017 –
page 10
2.08% "Writers/publishers who include maps with their texts deserve to sell more books. So helpful!!"
February 21, 2017 –
page 12
2.5% "Before I was old enough to reason I came to love the sea, to know it as an element as natural as earth. As soon as I was old enough to reason I came to fear it--not as an element but for what it could bring."
February 24, 2017 –
page 202
42.08% "There is no proportion in memory. Months of happiness or misery can suffer an ellipsis which no effort may fill; yet moments or single days linger in the mind from a choice that seems not one's own and have an endurance beyond their worth."
page 303
63.13% "The environment into which Walter Ralegh took me...was a foreign to life at Arwenack as the de Prada house in Madrid. ...Doors of the mind were opened looking upon new and exciting country as vivid and as unexplored as anything in Guiana or the colony of Virginia. Here were books treating of every subject from astrology to campaigns of war, from botany to Greek history, from chemistry and experiments in alchemy to..."
page 303
63.13% "...poetry and philosophical speculation. Nor were they ranged along the walls of a single room; they proliferated about the house, left open on tables and settles, dropped where they had been temporarily abandoned and where they would be most convenient picked up. Globes and maps abounded and musical instruments and paintings and busts, and old parchments and vivid tapestries..."
page 327
68.13% "Between birth and death, Maugan, there's little time. What there is is not entirely wasted if it strikes a balance between questioning and faith."
March 3, 2017 – Finished Reading