Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Crave

Crave by Laura J. Burns

1.5 stars!

This is another fine example of why you should never judge a book by its covers. The cover is beautiful and that’s what got me into trouble… again!

Of all the terrible and frustrating characters on this planet, Shay McGuire is by far the worst. Sick Girl, as she likes to call herself, is incredibly selfish, self-centered, out of control and plain stupid. I’m not sure if the authors intended for her to be that way, but somehow I doubt it.

Ok, here’s the story: Shay was born with a rare, or rather unique blood disorder. Her stepfather, Martin, is an expert in leukemia who abandoned his work so he could focus all his attention on finding the cure for Shay (or so he says). One day, Martin gave Shay a transfusion that actually made her feel better. After a lifetime of feeling weak and exhausted, Shay suddenly had the strength to do whatever she wanted. So what did she choose? Drinking, acting out and risking her life every chance she gets.

Just so we’re clear here: was I supposed to sympathize with the girl who used her illness to behave like a complete brat? Was I supposed to feel sorry for this girl who kissed her best friend’s boyfriend the first chance she got, a girl who takes everyone for granted and treats people who care about her like trash? Because if I was, it SO did not work out that way. I’m one of those people who can’t like a book unless they can connect to the main character and that didn’t happen here.

And Gabriel is just so old! I’d never before been bothered by the age difference in paranormal YA, maybe because they all at least tried to behave like teenagers and it wasn’t so obvious. But Gabriel keeps pointing out that he’s more than 400 years old and he even acts like it. I kept thinking: b-b-but she is 16 and immature!!! What can you possibly see in her?!

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to read the sequel so you can expect another one of these rants reviews in the near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crave.

07/30/2011
30.0% "I just can't hide from whiny characters! I hate self-centered people."
07/30/2011
50.0% "Totally saw that coming." 8 comments

Bonnie How's it going so far? :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm at about 30%. I have to say that I find Shay very annoying and self-centered. She may be sick and all, but she's acting like a brat. I hope that changes soon because so far, I don't care what happens to her. You?

Bonnie Maja wrote: "I'm at about 30%. I have to say that I find Shay very annoying and self-centered. She may be sick and all, but she's acting like a brat. I hope that changes soon because so far, I don't care what h..."

I haven't started back in so I'm still at 16%. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I think that chapter 3 (and 4) might surprise you! I'll stop here and wait for you. I have other things to read. You just take your time!

Bonnie Maja wrote: "I think that chapter 3 (and 4) might surprise you! I'll stop here and wait for you. I have other things to read. You just take your time!"

Remind me what the time difference is between us? It's 11am here

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) OMG, 8pm here! That's a LOT! But nevermind, we'll manage somehow! As you well know, I have a sleep disorder anyway. :D

Bonnie Maja wrote: "OMG, 8pm here! That's a LOT! But nevermind, we'll manage somehow! As you well know, I have a sleep disorder anyway. :D"

Well you should read some more now! I'm already at 20% so I'm sure I'll be able to catch up to you however far you get.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yes, Ma'm! Will do! 9 hours is really a lot, I only have that with Wendy D. but we're both insomniacs and we pretty much have the same rhythm! :)

Can't wait to hear if Shay annoys you as much as she annoys me!

Bonnie Maja wrote: "Yes, Ma'm! Will do! 9 hours is really a lot, I only have that with Wendy D. but we're both insomniacs and we pretty much have the same rhythm! :)

Can't wait to hear if Shay annoys you as much as s..."

I tend to stay up pretty late so that'll help.

I just got to Chapter 4 where (view spoiler) She is kind of grating on my nerves with the whole 'I feel fine MOM! I'll do what I want!' lol

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Aaaargh, I know, and she just keeps acting out. I understand that she's used to being the center of attention, but even her sickness doesn't give her the right to do whatever she wants. She'll get even worse.

Bonnie Yeah. Her immaturity is certainly shining through. I suppose that should be excusable since we are reading a YA, but... no. hahaha

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo Of all the terrible and frustrating characters on this planet, Shay McGuire is by far the worst.

Bold words, Maja, bold words.
She has a lot of competition.
Why do you have to read the sequel?!
Run awaaaaaaaay.
But I love this review. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I have to read the sequel because it's a S&S galley. And trust me, I wasn't overreacting. In fact, I might have made her sound nicer than she really is. I don't think I've ever despised a character quite so much, not even the cheater in Suspect, and that's saying something.

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo S&S galley? I don't understand.

It's been a long, unnecessarily dramatic day.
Hahaha, oh gosh. I completely agree with you, though. It could be the best story in the entire world... if the story is pants then it's a DNF.
You must have the patience of a saint :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It's from Galley Grab. I donwloaded, therefore I feel like I need to review. Yep. I'm an idiot that responsible.

Oh, I'm a saint all right! Pfff! Right. Bonnie helped me through this terrible crap book. I don't know how I would have done it without her.

Bonnie I actually hadn't downloaded it (thank goodness) or I would probably feel the need to read it too.

Having someone to complain about crap books with is always helpful.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) O_O Color me jealous! Why oh why had I downloaded the stupid book?!

Bonnie We had high hopes unfortunately.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) *groans* I wanted to read this for SO long! I'm an idiot. BUT, be brave, little soldier. Something better will come. It sure can't get any worse!

Bonnie Wow. I hope not. For your sake. I'll be keeping an eye out for your updates. ;)

message 21: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Actually, I find the cover very cheesy. *shrugs*

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) True. But have you seen the cover fot the sequel? :)

message 23: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Oh ok yeah that one is pretty.

message 24: by Ternessa (new)

Ternessa I keep judging books by their covers too. It's a habit we've got to stop! Lol :) This book sounded interesting but I'm going to check out more reviews first.

message 25: by Riya (new) - added it

Riya Kite I totally agree with yu about judging a book by its cover.....sigh*...dissapointment