Kelly Hodgkins's Reviews > The Inkblots: Hermann Rorschach, His Iconic Test, and the Power of Seeing

The Inkblots by Damion Searls

I picked up a copy of "THE INKBLOTS: Hermann Rorschach, His Iconic Test, and the Power of Seeing" by Damion Searls because of my background in psychology. Whilst we studied the Rorschach tests briefly at university, we didn't come to terms with them in any meaningful way. The appeal in the images used has, for me, always been their artistic nature. This book outlines both the life of Hermann Rorschach and his iconic test at a deeper level than I anticipated. An understanding and passion for psychology would, to me, be an essential to reading this one. I found it, in parts, too detailed and rather long-winded but overall am grateful to have read it. I appreciate the balanced and intelligent approach taken by the author.

Most interesting to me was the artistic talent of Rorschach and the way in which that spilled over into his psychological work. The history of the last century, as seen from the perspective of the Rorschach test, reframes major happenings such as World War 1 and 2, life in Russia, the Great Depression and the medical enlightenment of the 1950s and 1960s. It also tracks the development of anthropology, sociology, psychology and psychiatry.

Favourite lines:
"The retina actually picking up light or not is only 8 percent of what happens, so to speak. Perception is a mainly psychological, not physical process."

"In perception, there are three processes: sensation, memory, and association."

"Finally, empathy is a healing element in its own right: compassion can heal..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inkblots.

February 21, 2017 – Started Reading