Stephanie's Reviews > Flame in the Mist

Flame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh

it was ok

Well, this was disappointing! Good concept, but really lacking in execution. I thought a great deal of the book was really boring. There's a ton of inner monologues where the characters just go back and forth and back and forth on any and everything they're thinking about. I've read all these reviews about how Mariko is this bad-ass warrior, but, like, am I reading the same book?? I thought she was immature and kind of self-centered. She went on and on about having honor, but didn't really do anything very honorable. There's a part where she talks about how she outsmarted some people several times over and it made me laugh. The romance was ok, but not as good as I was hoping it would be after loving Shazi and Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn series. Overall, I was just really disappointed in this. But, obviously, I am the black sheep of hype, so I'm sure may others will love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flame in the Mist.

February 20, 2017 – Shelved
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 21, 2017 – Started Reading
May 21, 2017 –
13.0% "I'm thinking this probably wasn't the best choice to follow up the previous book I read. The amazingness of the last book is making this one feel SUPER boring in comparison. (Or maybe it's super boring so far on its own? I can't tell.) I've been looking forward to this one for awhile, though, so I will carry on and hope it eventually grabs me."
May 22, 2017 –
30.0% "This is getting marginally more interesting. And a thumbs up for some banter."
May 23, 2017 –
May 24, 2017 –
65.0% "So I spent an hour or so fighting with adobe digital editions and thought I lost all access to library books. It's finally ok and it feels ungrateful to not enjoy a library book now. But am I reading the same book everyone else is? So far this has failed to impress me."
May 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine from How Useful It Is Such a pretty cover, so misleading! I wanted to read this but now I will wait on it :-)

Stephanie Jasmine wrote: "Such a pretty cover, so misleading! I wanted to read this but now I will wait on it :-)"

Most other people seem to really like it, so you never know. I would definitely suggest getting it from the library instead of buying it, though. Just did not live up to the hype at all for me.

message 3: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine from How Useful It Is Thanks Stephanie! I love getting books from the library :-)