Anthony Berger's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Jul 29, 2011

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is an intensely powerful and melancholy story that drudges up the darkest experiences of many readers. The story, which is set in a hauntingly desolate, post-apocalyptic appalachia, rarely fails to overwhelm the senses. Oddly, though, it doesn't overwhelm with shock value, but rather over encumbers the reader with soul-sucking devastation. McCarthy never crosses the line to pure shock value, he merely discloses the depravity of his world in a resigned, woebegone, and enigmatic way. The tangible melancholy is compounded by the extremely simplistic writing style.

While reading this book, I was saddened to hear many friends/family say they became disinterested in the book after they saw the movie adaptation (which I've never seen). Many say the movie is pretty boring, and dull. This doesn't surprise me, as no movie can perfectly capture the tone that McCarthy uses in his words, and the absolutely beautiful digressions where we hear in the inner-thoughts of the characters' trauma-induced psychoses. Please, skip the movie, and, instead, read this Pulitzer-Prize-deserving story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.