Fred's Reviews > Crush Control

Crush Control by Jennifer Jabaley

Jul 29, 2011

It's not terribly difficult to forsee the various disasters that MC Willow inflicts on herself and others, nor is it hard to see how things will eventually work themselves out. But there's lots of fun to be had along the way. Willow is a charming MC, who could benefit from a good shake now and then, but has a sweet, sensitve and kind heart, although it is fraught with bad judgment and poor impulse control. There are several great supporting characters as well - her quirkster friend, Georgia; her single mom struggling with her own issues of identity and parental acceptance; the surface perfect but vulnerable cheerleader; and of course two hunky boys for Willow to obssess over. One of the things I enjoyed most about this book was the way the author worked the themes of A Midsummer Night's Dream into the story. I love when authors introduce a book like that in a way that illuminates the action and also moves the plot forward - like Leaves of Grass in Paper Towns, or Pride and Prejudice in Between the Lines. This book also features a really great "meet cute" scene with one of the aforesaid boys on Willow's first day back in the small Georgia town they've returned to from Las Vegas. Believable emotions, if farfetched situations, and warmly portrayed lovable characters made this a pleasurable, quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crush Control.

July 29, 2011 – Started Reading
July 29, 2011 – Shelved
August 2, 2011 –
0.0% "Grrr, had trouble opening on my Nook, maybe tomorrow."
August 3, 2011 –
20.0% "Good girl, bad decisions ... sigh"
August 3, 2011 – Finished Reading

Fred I forgot what a good book this is! I'm going to read her other one Lipstick Apology next. Really fun, created a great atmosphere, and a super charming mc.

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I have the paperback of this in my TBR pile.... I'm easily sidetracked with all these new books coming out, but I need to make a point of reading it.

Fred I thought it was fun, it's kind of a sorcer's apprentice. She's (author, that is) good at creating a believable screw-up you can still like and empathize with. It's light, but with some feeling to it. The first chapter is really quite a hoot, especially.