DeB MaRtEnS's Reviews > The Wedding Bees: A Novel of Honey, Love, and Manners

The Wedding Bees by Sarah-Kate Lynch

liked it
bookshelves: comic-chick-lit, cooking-the-plot, women-s-fiction-of-no-substance

I could pun myself through this review...but that would be in bad taste. Ouch! It's difficult not to have a little fun with a novel so imbued with honey, the power of the substance and its by-products and the bees themselves - Oh - and a main character called "Sugar".

Where I came upon this title I cannot recall - likely when I was in my "cooking in the books" phase- and I guess I long ago requested it from the library and forgot about it. Well, the copy I have is brand new, so I guess the library is restocking and I felt obliged to give this gorgeous cover "a go".

Sugar has been wandering annually with her bees for fifteen years. Now she is in New York, in an apartment block with disgruntled and emotionally broken neighbours. Predictably, Sugar sweetens everyone up and meets a nice fellow who she herself is resisting. She sells honey at the farmer's market, and tends to her bees on her terrace. The Queen Bee is gifted with knowing things, and she and her hive influence the plot.

It is a kind of corny story, and the best description of the characters would be "folksy". Light, bright but not really impressive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Bees.

February 20, 2017 – Shelved
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 19, 2017 – Started Reading
April 20, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 22, 2017 – Shelved as: comic-chick-lit
April 22, 2017 – Shelved as: women-s-fiction-of-no-substance
April 22, 2017 – Shelved as: cooking-the-plot

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol So many books with recipes and fun things to cook as part of the plot. There's an ongoing blog post on Criminal Element called Food Fatale, often subtitled Cooking The Books that try out the recipes found in many cozies and other mystery or crime novels. There was even a whole series recipes from Louise Penny's Armand Gamache books.

message 2: by DeB (new) - rated it 3 stars

DeB MaRtEnS Carol wrote: "So many books with recipes and fun things to cook as part of the plot. There's an ongoing blog post on Criminal Element called Food Fatale, often subtitled Cooking The Books that try out the recipe..."

I'm hooked on these little morsels! For years, I loyally read Diana Mott Davidson's series, because I loved her catering mystery style. Haven't found anything else which was good enough to have me follow, but I do love the foodie bits in novels. Maybe because I can't cook like I used to!