Sara's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, creepy-reads, fantasy, male-protagonists, prose-love, tough-subject-matter, world-building-love
Read 2 times

Wow. I think I've found my new favorite Gaiman novel. And I'm not sure how I'm going to write a coherent review, but here goes...

AMERICAN GODS is what many readers might describe as a "modern epic." Part horror-tinged mythopoeia, part social commentary, it re-imagines America with the deities of European, African, and other cultural lore coming to the country with our ancestors, then finding themselves in conflict with new gods representing America's "ideals": power, the Internet, television, money, etc. But what about the story itself? Well, Shadow Moon is days away from being released from prison when he learns his wife Laura and his best friend were killed in a car accident together. Now with his life in pieces, Shadow returns to the outside world and accepts the first job he's offered: running errands for an enigmatic, wise-cracking Mr. Wednesday. The two men then take off on an unforgettable, phantasmagoric road trip through America's Midwest - and the outcome of their mission could mean the survival, or death, of the gods of old.

This was my fourth Gaiman novel. And in a way, I'm glad I had read others before AMERICAN GODS, because I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much. And by "enjoy," I really mean losing myself in each small-town setting, Gaiman's modern-day interpretation of gods or goddesses, the symbolism or themes at play, and the strangeness of it all. Mortals die, deities die - some in gruesome ways, and some are brought back to life. Some scenes made me laugh. Others chilled me to the bone. Still others were hypnotically and terrifyingly vivid, and still more coaxed out the deep thinker in me.

In short, AMERICAN GODS is bizarre. It's frightening and at times disturbing. But it's also beautiful, ambitious, haunting, and thought-provoking. I'm sure I'll still be thinking of this book weeks and months, and possible for years, down the road.

And now I sorely wish I still had Starz (or Showtime?) so I could watch the miniseries in April.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

Finished Reading
November 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
November 13, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 6, 2017 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 6, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 7, 2017 –
page 50
9.24% "A lot of my upcoming reads will be YA fantasies and/or fantasies with female protagonists. And while I enjoy those kinds of stories, I figured now was a good time for something different. I'm only 50 pages into American Gods, but so far this is a great "something different." :)" (Paperback Edition)
February 8, 2017 –
page 77
14.23% "I would have read more if I hadn't been so tired. But ha ha, I'm loving Shadow and Wednesday's visit with the Russians." (Paperback Edition)
February 9, 2017 –
page 106
19.59% (Paperback Edition)
February 10, 2017 –
page 160
29.57% "All I want to do is ready this bizarrely beautiful book. <3" (Paperback Edition)
February 12, 2017 –
page 232
42.88% "Shadow keeps having incredibly vivid dreams... to be the point that I'm convinced there's a reason why he's having such dreams. But I don't know what that reason is yet.

Also, the Myst: Riven soundtrack is the perfect music to listen to while reading this book. ;)"
(Paperback Edition)
February 13, 2017 –
page 284
52.5% "I really wish I still had Starz. Because I'd love to see the TV adaptation of this book once it airs. *sigh*" (Paperback Edition)
February 14, 2017 –
page 338
62.48% "Annnnnd the moral of Interlude #1 is: Don't mess with Technical Boy, even if he says he on your side. :O" (Paperback Edition)
February 14, 2017 –
page 338
62.48% "And the moral of Interlude #1 is: Don't mess with Technical Boy, even if he says he's on your side. :O" (Paperback Edition)
February 15, 2017 –
page 380
70.24% "Wow. That... did that just happen? I almost don't want to believe it did..." (Paperback Edition)
February 16, 2017 –
page 431
79.67% "What...

What...........

WHAT????

I have no idea what's going to happen for the rest of this book now. Whether that's good or bad, I haven't decided yet."
(Paperback Edition)
February 19, 2017 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2017 – Shelved
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: creepy-reads
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: male-protagonists
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: prose-love
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: tough-subject-matter
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: world-building-love
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: creepy-reads (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: male-protagonists (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: prose-love (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: tough-subject-ma... (Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: world-building-love (Paperback Edition)