Mister Jones's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

did not like it
bookshelves: crap-that-actually-got-published
Recommended to Mister Jones by: Art and Fart Crapper
Recommended for: Drunken frauds who see Shamans on a road during a LSD flashback

I must be missing something about this one, and whatever it is, I know it's not much.

I didn't enjoy it; I wanted it to be a fulfilling and rewarding read; I want it to be everything that everyone else said it was and then some.

So, I learned that some works aren't worth it--not worth reading, not worth the time, and not worth putting faith in what others may deem "a beautiful book."

Marquez pops characters in and out with different brief activities and events, scattering them into a literary collage; humans with tails, and a girl who eats dirt..those things would be interesting if a story was surrounding each one, but there isn't. It's like going to a carnival looking through a peep hole and seeing a freak of nature briefly.

To just pop these abnormalities in as being convincing, which it sure as hell isn't, seems to be stretching the point of lucidity and literary, and after that, I stopped reading--because there's a big difference in reading and just wallowing in a collage of intellectual masturbation where events and names are continuously wrapped around the charming misnomer:"magic realism."

Ultimately, it's monotonous, confusing, and in the end boring as hell.

I've given it no stars because I'm so full of magic realism. I'm real and can perform magic,and I'm far more convincing than this pretentious work ever could be.

Watch me: I'm waving my literary wand and sending 100 Days of Boring Crap on a magic carpet ride directly into my "crap that actually got published" bin. BRAVO!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Started Reading
March 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
April 1, 2008 – Shelved
February 23, 2016 – Shelved as: crap-that-actually-got-published

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Kathleen (itpdx) I just finished the book and I came close to giving up somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 through. But the rest grabbed me and I finished it in no time. But I was left with the question, "what was this about?" One thing that helped me absorb the book was a comment from the author that he was surprised the book was so popular because there it had a lot of inside jokes. So some of it is not meant to make sense!

message 2: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin Love your wand trick! BRAVO!!!

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Never liked magic realism. I agree with your review and won't read the book becuase there's so much else I want to read so thanks.

message 4: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Thanks. I think I will pass on this one

message 5: by Deb (new) - rated it 1 star

Deb Precisely! I have experienced magic realism and this is not it! Bravo to you and bravo to your review...I wish I had read your review BEFORE I waded waist deep into muck. Oh well!

message 6: by ST (new) - rated it 5 stars

ST I don't get it. It's no crime to not like a book, regardless of its status as a classic, but to insist that because you didn't find it rewarding it must be due to the fact that there is "not much" to it is puzzling.

Sean Warr You missed all the symbolism,metaphor and history behind it.

Tlu201 Smart books are not for everyone. They require some skill in reading between lines, in understanding symbols and metaphors and culture. For some, and I think you are in this group, it just puts too much preassure on the intellect. One Hundred Years of Solitude, in a way, is an elitist book.

Pili The fact that you did not like the book, does not mean that the book is a mess.

Javonne Wow. Children shouldn't be reading novels meant for adults. much less writing reviews on them.

Richard Bentley Amen, Brother. Too much is too much in any language.

Edgar Fattori " It's like going to a carnival looking through a peep hole and seeing a freak of nature briefly." that is exactly how we human looks like when we are seen by far far away.
the fact that this book makes you go back, to re-read some paragraphs, and confuse you with the names its no coincidence.

Paulina Merú lol people saying that this book isn't magic realism, when actually Gabriel Garcia Marquez is one of the biggest pioneers of this lliterary gender. Actually magic realism was born in Latin American and it became known worldwide thanks to this novel.

LuFer Morales People are just too afraid to say this book isn't good because they want to look intellectual. Writing long sentences and pages and pages of a single paragraph doesn't make you a good writer.