Gail Hollingsworth's Reviews > The Angels' Share

The Angels' Share by James Markert

This was not a typical book that I would normally pick up and read on my own and it was a little hard to get into at first. But once I started reading, after a couple of chapters it drew me in. Prohibition was over, the depression had set in and there were homeless everywhere. Jobs were few and far between. The McFee's were faring pretty well because of the father's illegal activity during prohibition. They were all suffering the loss of the youngest brother, Henry age four, in an automobile accident. The McFee's lived in a house with a shut down distillery behind it that had been started by the grandfather, Sam. Next to the house was a potters field where poor and indigent members of society were buried. One night with numerous lantern lights dancing about like fireflies, the oldest son, William, witnesses a burial in the field from his upstairs window. The site begins to draw crowds of people because of rumors that this man was Christ returned or a prophet able to perform miracles before his death. Even after many come and pray over his grave. The father, Barley, is being sought after by a notorious criminal, who escaped prison. Having used a false name during dealings with this criminal he feels safer using his real name. He and son William begin searching for information on this so called "prophet" and why Henry's shoes were found among his belongings.
Take a wild ride through all the dealings among the people of this imaginary town called Twisted Tree. Learn of gangsters and bootlegging and miracles that happen unexpectedly. The author has a history degree and has done much research on bourbon distillery that makes this story more interesting and gives it real life. I enjoy learning real history through fiction that brings me entertainment as well.
I received this book through the Fiction Guild and was not required to write a review, positive or otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angels' Share.

Started Reading