Obsidian's Reviews > All the Missing Girls

All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

did not like it
bookshelves: 2017-library-love-challenge, tbr-2017

This book was terrible. Besides a gimmick of telling the main story backwards (which I swear I have seen before in books like "The Secret History") there was nothing appealing about this book. The main character was terrible, her family was terrible, and there was no development at all with secondary characters. I didn't get a sense of anyone at all and when I got to the letdown of an ending I was really ticked I had wasted any time at all with this.

Nicolette (or Nic) is reluctant to return to her hometown. We know that she is still haunted by her best friend Corrine that disappeared years ago. Nic left town and ended up going to school and settling in Philadelphia. She met a great guy named Everett and is finally engaged. However she feels stunted by her past and when her brother Daniel calls her to help with selling their family home she goes. Deciding to take two months off to help her brother Daniel, Nic is quickly confronted with an old boyfriend (Tyler) who is now dating Annaleise. Things go sideways for Nic again though when Annaleise goes missing just like Corrine did years ago.

Nic sucks. Sorry, when you eventually go from day 15 back to day 1 you have all of these things revealed which just makes her a small and just messed up person. I don't see any "Gone Girl" comparisons here since with Amazing Amy you get a really cool reveal about her. Telling the book backwards like she did, Miranda hid things until they were revealed earlier on which doesn't work. There were so many plot holes that I skipped counting them after a while.

I had so many questions about Nic's family, but everything dealing with her father and brother Daniel was vague. There is barely any dialogue by the way by anyone in this story. So you are fully immersed in Nic's head at all times. People's motivations for doing anything was murky and downright stupid at times.

Tyler is pathetic from beginning to end. I still don't get what drew him to Nic or her to him. Once again I am going to blame this on the writing though. Maybe if Miranda had told the story with the setup of everyone involved and then jumped to the present it would have worked better. But instead we just glimpses of Tyler and everyone else in this book through the count back day gimmick. And Tyler acting like a spurned lover though he has been dating and having sex with other women and Nic acting like they had this bond was ridiculous. Once again I am going to blame that on the narrative structure.

The writing I found to be so-so. Honestly, there was way too much tell going on here. And I had a hard time with even understanding why thing on day 15 would be vague since by then Nic obviously knows what happens and who did what. You can't do it that way and then have readers go the whole way to day 1 and all of a sudden things suddenly make sense. Frankly Miranda should have said on day 15 what went on and who did what and then you can work forward that way. This makes me think a little bit of "The Secret History". "The Secret History" worked better for me even though you have the reveal of who did what and who was murdered upfront. You get to work forward (or backwards in a way) and get to see what was the final incident that caused the murder.

The setting of this small town does not come alive at all. Probably because of the structure of the book. Besides Nic and Daniel's childhood home no place felt "real" to me while reading.

The ending was a joke and a half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Missing Girls.

February 19, 2017 – Started Reading
February 19, 2017 – Shelved
February 19, 2017 –
100.0% "Besides a ridiculous gimmick of backwards narration nothing to recommend this book. Nonsensical from beginning to end, author fills in gaps at the end which if you're doing backwards narration would be a bgno no no. The crime was blah and second crime blah. I didn't like anyone except the fiancee Everett."
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-library-love-challenge
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: tbr-2017
February 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie Help me dodge a bullet here. I had this in my hands over the weekend and I thought I'd wait and see what my book friends thought...and lookie here! Your timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Obsidian Courtnie wrote: "Help me dodge a bullet here. I had this in my hands over the weekend and I thought I'd wait and see what my book friends thought...and lookie here! Your timing couldn't have been more perfect."

I skip it. I am glad I borrowed it from the library.

message 3: by Courtnie (last edited Feb 21, 2017 07:07AM) (new)

Courtnie *thumbs up* Thanks!

Kirstin You wrote the review I couldn't find the words to write myself. I hated it, and felt cheated by the time I finally managed to finish the dang thing.

Obsidian Kirstin wrote: "You wrote the review I couldn't find the words to write myself. I hated it, and felt cheated by the time I finally managed to finish the dang thing."

I was disappointed as well. I thought it be some elaborate mystery and it just fell flat. Thanks!

Russell Chamberlain yes, totally agree.

Obsidian Russell wrote: "yes, totally agree."

Thanks! I love a good thriller. Sad this didn't work.

Sarah Blackwell One note about your review - Annaleise is not Corrine’s younger sister. Annaleise’s last name is Carter, Corrine’s was Prescott, and though she has an obsession with the disappearance of Corrine, there are no family ties there.

message 9: by Chanteuse (new)

Chanteuse I felt the same about this book, too. I read 1/2 of it then jumped to the last page. Everyone was one dimensional or no dimension at all. It was convoluted at best, down right ridiculous most of the time. I knew it was time to kill it when I realized that it took me 2 weeks of sporadic listening to finish half the book....

Obsidian Chanteuse wrote: "I felt the same about this book, too. I read 1/2 of it then jumped to the last page. Everyone was one dimensional or no dimension at all. It was convoluted at best, down right ridiculous most of th..."

Yeah this one was a slow read. I just remember hating the backwards story telling when I realized that it wasn't even going to pan out. Just a gimmick that didn't work.

message 11: by Future (new) - added it

Future Cat Lady OMG YASSS I had to force myself to finish this terrible book. I have no idea why people loved it?

Obsidian Future wrote: "OMG YASSS I had to force myself to finish this terrible book. I have no idea why people loved it?"

I am still baffled at the five star reviews for this one.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Castecka Just a note — Annaliese was not Corinne’s sister.

Obsidian Lisa wrote: "Just a note — Annaliese was not Corinne’s sister."

Yes people have told me.

message 15: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Sam (AMNReader) You are on quite the streak!!

message 16: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Sam (AMNReader) Ohhh this was old! Phew

Denise all my sentiments, exactly.

Obsidian Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "Ohhh this was old! Phew"

LOL no problem. I may have accidentally hit add to my update feed.

Obsidian Denise wrote: "all my sentiments, exactly."

Thanks!

message 20: by Don (new) - rated it 5 stars

Don Love it when people are upset that the characters in a story aren’t all good natured and happy people.

Obsidian Don wrote: "Love it when people are upset that the characters in a story aren’t all good natured and happy people."

Yeah, they don't have to be, but if they are one note and not developed well (which they were not) I have more of an issue with it. This was a book with a gimmick (backwards narration) that didn't work well at all.

Charity I totally agree. I think that's why I couldn't keep intrigued. You can't connect to the characters.

Obsidian Charity wrote: "I totally agree. I think that's why I couldn't keep intrigued. You can't connect to the characters."

It makes it hard to care about anyone when you start a story off this way.

message 24: by Jessie (new)

Jessie This book was so bad that I became embarrassed to read it in public. I also read 1/2 then skipped to the end and yet never stopped rolling my eyes at all of the juvanile use of italicized thoughts/cheesy phrases, emphasis on the power that young people have over an entire town and this narrators obsession with the past even though she insists that she has a new life "up north". I'm glad that you articulated so well what myself and others are clearly thinking.

Obsidian Jessie wrote: "This book was so bad that I became embarrassed to read it in public. I also read 1/2 then skipped to the end and yet never stopped rolling my eyes at all of the juvanile use of italicized thoughts/..."

Thanks so much Jessie!