Jason Yang's Reviews > The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom

The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt

Jul 29, 2011

I loved this book. Jonathan Haidt presents a very balanced discussion on positive psychology with allusions to themes from Eastern and Western philosophies and religions and empirical evidence from various psychology experiments.

He writes in a language and tone that is personal and accessible and I appreciate his honesty in sharing his personal journey. Unlike many other positive psychology pieces I've come across, Haidt does not advocate any particular worldview, other than the idea that there is tremendous value in reaching across boundaries and learning from ideological opposites. It is indeed tragic the rift that separates 'liberals' from 'conservatives' and 'secular' from 'religious' today. Rather than passively ride the middle, I feel led to embrace and draw from extremities.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone. It reads pretty easily and is extremely thoughtful. It is really nice to hear the voices and thoughts from many centuries ago speak to our time today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Hypothesis.