Rosamund's Reviews > The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You

The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2017, non-fiction, ebook

Not really what I was hoping for. Much like a bad therapist, it focuses more on attempting to untangle childhood issues - whether they exist or not - and less on practical advice about dealing with being an HSP in everyday, adult life.

Sometimes it didn’t feel like it was written with sensitive people in mind, actually. During the case studies, there were sudden, unexpected mentions of sexual abuse and suicide, which was jarring! And what was with the whole chapter on spirituality at the end? It was like I was reading a completely different book.

The book wasn’t without its merits, as I highlighted a few bits, but these were hard to pick out without trudging though a lot of slush. I'm not sure I would recommend it. I will be turning to the internet for more accurate, up-to-date resources on HSP stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Sensitive Person.

February 17, 2017 – Shelved
February 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
March 22, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
March 22, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
March 22, 2017 – Shelved as: ebook
March 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by CourtneyT (new)

CourtneyT Yep! Wanted so much more from this series

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Oh schade. That's disappointing! Felt the same way reading Susan Cain's book, TBH.

Rosalind No way!! I felt like I'd be understood for the first time in my life! I do know what you mean, though. I think I was so chuffed with the message and it was so timely I was just prepared to overlook a lot of the structural peculiarities! x

Rosamund Rosalind wrote: "No way!! I felt like I'd be understood for the first time in my life! I do know what you mean, though. I think I was so chuffed with the message and it was so timely I was just prepared to overlook..."

Aw! Well I guess I had read a lot about the subject beforehand and I had been hoping this book would be expanding on that, along with ways of coping (as much time as I spend on the internet, I do love it when things are summed up in book form!). I didn't find all the "child" analogies very helpful either, thought it was a bit infantilising. I'm glad it did good things for you, though :) x