Maria Haskins's Reviews > The Devourers

The Devourers by Indra Das

This is an intoxicating, heady, trippy mix of reimagined werewolf lore, history, myth, ritual, and religion, that had me spellbound. The story starts off in modern day India, where Alok meets a mysterious man who says he's half werewolf, an encounter that sets off a story that spans hundreds, even thousands of years, reaching into the distant, murky past of ancient Europe and India, into abandoned temples and jungles, into the British Raj, and beyond. I am a huge fan of Umberto Eco, and this book reminded me of his writing in many ways: there's the feeling of myth and fairytale and dream and fiction blending with reality, there are the stories within stories, and the manuscripts and scrolls written in ancient scripts left behind to tell the story of the past.

If you think you know werewolf stories, then think again: these werewolves / shapeshifters are something other than just men changed into wolves at the full moon: the descriptions of their lore, their rituals and culture, and their powers of transformation pretty much blew my mind. Note: this is not a story for the faint of heart! There is plenty of blood and guts (and every other bodily fluid you can think of!), gore and sex, and a lot of devouring and being devoured. Das brings every aspect of this world vividly to life, and the characters are brilliantly drawn as well: each one is a complex, memorable presence. This is a story that pulls you into another world, and I savoured every moment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devourers.

February 17, 2017 – Started Reading