Cheryl's Reviews > Sirensong

Sirensong by Jenna Black

Jul 29, 2011

Read from August 01 to 02, 2011 — I own a copy

Sirensong finds Dana being invited to the Seelie Court at the “request” of the Seelie Queen, Titiana. Dana’s royal escort is the queen’s son, Henry, a pompous jerk who hates Dana’s dad and, by extension, Dana. Going along with Dana and her dad to Faerie are Ethan, Kimber, Keane and Finn. Dana is worried about her mom, who will be on her own for possibly several weeks, going back to drinking. She’s also worried, rightly, about someone trying to kill her as they travel through Faerie to the queen’s palace, even though her father has assured her that Titiana’s protection will be enough to stop anyone from making an attempt on the Faeriewalker’s life.

Shortly after reaching the castle, a journey which, as Dana expected, is eventful, an attempt is made on the queen’s granddaughter’s life. Dana is framed and has to go on the run with Ethan, Kimber and Keane. I figured that the whole book would be spent trying to figure out exactly who wanted to kill the princess, Elaine, but it wasn’t, which I was glad about. That leaves Dana to try and figure out how to escape to Avalon and maybe prove her innocence. She’ll have to if she ever wants to stay there, because the queen has given the Erlking the right to hunt Dana.

Overall, I liked this book quite a bit. However, the ending felt a bit rushed; it seemed like it could have used at least a couple more chapters and I’d’ve gladly taken another book. For example, (view spoiler) I also would’ve like a little more, I don’t know, conflict or confrontation, with the Erlking. Finally, Dana’s mom drove me nuts and I thought too much space was wasted on her. Yes, I can only imagine what it’s like to have an alcoholic parent. I’m sure it’s a hell of a lot more frustrating and anger inducing than the book even depicted, but I still could’ve done without her so much. Like I said, it really seemed like the book needed at least a couple more chapters and even a little more character progression or development, but I liked the series and would definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sirensong.

08/01/2011 page 62