Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink's Reviews > One Dark Throne

One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake

Full Revew Update! (Spoiler free)

Easy 5 stars. Good grief. What even happened? What did I just read?

I went into this book not knowing to expect. The first book was certainly unpredictable, and this one even less so. But holy crap guys, what a ride this was. Prepare for a rollercoaster.

Going back, I loved the first book. BUT. It took me til about half way to get into it. There were just so many characters and my brain got lost frequently. But once everything with Joseph hit though, I got sucked in to that river of feels. Let me urge you, if you DNF'ed the first because you had a hard time getting into it, go back and finish. I promise you, it's worth it. SO worth it. And the end of book one? Holy wow.

So that brings me to this one.

You guys, you are not prepared. It takes off running and doesn't slow down. I'm not trying to hype this up or anything, but it was damn fun and I was literally panting and sweating ALL through the book. The pacing was ten times the first. Absolutely perfect. The writing was gorgeous and raw. I'm not normally a fan of third person present, but it works here. But the best part? This story was so easy to follow, and before you know it, you're right there in the plot with the characters. I WAS PANICKING FOR ALL THE CHILDREN.

Previously, I didn't really hate any of the queens, though I was drawn to Arsinoe. That definitely didn't change here. She just breaks my heart. She's so badass, and like in the first book, she just expects herself to be the one to die. She's been told she was weak, and my gosh, that's the opposite of true. This girl has spirit and I can barely think about her without getting emotional. The choices she makes all throughout this story are just... I can't. I can't. ILOVEHER.

Can we also please just take a moment to appreciate the fact that her face is scarred but she literally OWNS it. Does not care.

And on that note? Billy? SDFJSL:DFKJ I did not expect him to become a favorite character. Holy crap. I wish I could say more, and I will down the road, but for now, I'm just going to wildly profess my love for Billy and Arsinoe. They are now my children. I am adopting them.

As for Mirabella, I was unsure of her in the first book. She's the pretty queen who was told she was the only powerful one, and has every reason to act spoiled. But does she? Heck no. From book one, she remembered and cared for her sisters, but grew cold once she thought Arsinoe attacked her. Understandable right? But she surprised me time and time again. She's perfectly imperfect but deep down, the sweetest thing. I think you guys will LOVE her in this book.

As for Katherine, well, you guys know what happened to her at the end of the last. We pick back up with the consequences of that, and her character becomes so fascinatingly eerie. I still can't bring myself to hate her. I liked her from the beginning, and I was so into her and Peityr's relationship, and oh man guys... just wait until you see what happens with all that. I don't even know how to feel right now.

Omg. How could I forget Jules and Camden? Like Camden is my soulkitty. Holy wow. And Jules.. I did NOT expect the twist with her. I'm so nervous about her... I adore her so much. There is SO much potential there but she's as much a main character as the three queens now, and I LOVED that.

I can't find anything to complain about. I really can't. Maybe there's a few characters I still couldn't keep straight from time to time, but it didn't take away from my reading experience at all.

And as usual, you guys are in for a ton of bloodshed and a kick ass CRAZY ending. Also I'm still crying bye.

SO I realize this review is mostly a conglomerate of emotional fangirling but I can't help it, that's how I feel right now. I'll certainly add more once the book has been released and I can talk more openly, but I feel like this will fly off the shelves. I can't wait for the third book release.

All in all?

My heart is BLEEDING, and yet I LOVED every minute of it. And hated it. And loved it. WHAT EVEN.
This book was bat shit crazy, and one of the most unique and riveting stories I've ever read.

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dark Throne.

February 17, 2017 – Shelved
June 19, 2017 – Started Reading
June 19, 2017 –
3.0% "Holy cracker this is savage already"
June 19, 2017 –
15.0% "Good gravy this picks up FAST"
June 20, 2017 –
23.0% "THIS IS SO GOOD. So much drama and sass and ermergerdddd"
June 22, 2017 –
41.0% "Oh man. I did not expect to have all these feelings..."
June 30, 2017 –
47.0% "OMGAH dhdhsysraaesgjklgudysarzgjkvb"
June 30, 2017 –
55.0% "GUYS. THE FEELS. I CAAAANT."
July 1, 2017 –
70.0% "Asfgfggjghbxhdsafxghcvxfc"
July 5, 2017 –
85.0% "I literally cannot contain myself ahfhdgsgcvxfxc you guysssssss this book 🙌"
July 5, 2017 –
90.0% "WHAT WHAT OMGAHHHzgdgzfc"
July 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

-`ˏ Bridget ϟ omgogmogmgmgomg!! I cannot WAIT until this is out!

Tristan | Reader In The Pages That progress status is leaving me so nervous Brittney! So many conflicting emotions are happening right now!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink -`ˏ Bridget ϟ wrote: "omgogmogmgmgomg!! I cannot WAIT until this is out!"

Not too much longer ahhh!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Tristan | Reader In The Pages wrote: "That progress status is leaving me so nervous Brittney! So many conflicting emotions are happening right now!"

Omg aldkjfa;lsdkfj ITS SO GOOD

message 5: by alyssa (new) - added it

alyssa enjoy, brittney! :D

Monique cannot. wait.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

message 8: by varadaa (new)

varadaa good

ClaireEva I'm so jealous I need this now!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Erin wrote: "I. CAN. NOT. WAIT."

haha it isn't too much longer! I hate not being able to talk about it!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink ClaireEva wrote: "I'm so jealous I need this now!"

It was SO fun!!

Kathryn I finished the last page and my immediate reaction was: "NEED SEQUEL. NOW." September can't come soon enough.

message 13: by Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink (last edited Jul 07, 2017 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kathryn wrote: "I finished the last page and my immediate reaction was: "NEED SEQUEL. NOW." September can't come soon enough."

YES right? Oh man. This one does not disappoint.

message 14: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme Oh. My. God. I am so ready for this!

Rachel Wayne Oh my gosh I agree!! This book was amazing and had all of the feels!!

Gabby CANNOT WAIT OMG AND YES I LOVED ARSINOE AND BILLY SINCE BOOK ONE

message 17: by Amber ☾♥ (new) - added it

Amber ☾♥ Oh god, now I'm even more impatient to read this!

Kate Lynne Ahhh!! I am so excited to read this now!! YUSSSSSS

perpetually tired Wait!!! IS THIS OUT

perpetually tired I'm so confused

perpetually tired Or was it an ARC

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Jayme wrote: "Oh. My. God. I am so ready for this!"

you are not prepared

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Rachel wrote: "Oh my gosh I agree!! This book was amazing and had all of the feels!!"

YES it totally blew my mind!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Gabby wrote: "CANNOT WAIT OMG AND YES I LOVED ARSINOE AND BILLY SINCE BOOK ONE"

You are going to love them like 10x more...

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Amber (biblio_kitten) wrote: "Oh god, now I'm even more impatient to read this!"

you MUST

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Sagittarian Starr *Official book crazy* wrote: "Wait!!! IS THIS OUT"

It is an ARC - and the book is out in September!

Mike and Becca  (Books and Looks) So excited for this!

message 28: by Luka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luka Dksozofo LOVED the first book, IM NOT READY FOR THIS

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Luka wrote: "Dksozofo LOVED the first book, IM NOT READY FOR THIS"

You are not prepared!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Mike and Becca wrote: "So excited for this!"

I can't wait til it releases! I really think it will be a huge hit

Kathryn O.M.G. I'm sooooo jealous you got to read it already!!!! I've been DYING since I read that last past. September can't get here fast enough.

I'm so happy to hear a good review. I'm always wary of sequels when I LOVE the first book. You've upped my enthusiasm by 1000% & it was already sky-high.

message 32: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae I JUST FINISHED IT AND AOCISLLAOCISI I FEEL THE SAME WAY MY HEART HURTS

message 33: by Aracelis (new) - added it

Aracelis so is this a duology or...?

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Rae wrote: "I JUST FINISHED IT AND AOCISLLAOCISI I FEEL THE SAME WAY MY HEART HURTS"

OMG Right??? UGH I don't know how to feel right now

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Aracelis wrote: "so is this a duology or...?"

Nope there will be more books!

message 36: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I can't wait to read this!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Heather wrote: "I can't wait to read this!"

You must!! It was SO good

message 38: by Rianna (new) - added it

Rianna Wainwright I thought the first book was okay, though I was getting out of a huge reading slump when I read Three Dark Crowns so that my have effected my experience with the book, but 2/3 if the way through the book I started really liking it a lot more. I was already planning on reading the sequel to see if it would get better and more action in the second one, but now you've got me totally pumped for One Dark Throne!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Rianna wrote: "I thought the first book was okay, though I was getting out of a huge reading slump when I read Three Dark Crowns so that my have effected my experience with the book, but 2/3 if the way through th..."

I think you'll like this one! I think the pacing here and storyline is easy to follow and full of fun surprises!

message 40: by Tj (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tj Please tell me that Joseph is going to die. I want him dead. lol

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink TJ wrote: "Please tell me that Joseph is going to die. I want him dead. lol"

haha I admit NOTHING.

message 42: by wilber (new)

wilber Is this. Etiology

message 43: by wilber (new)

wilber Is this a trilogy

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Wilber wrote: "Is this a trilogy"

I'm not sure how many books there will be, but the author mentioned more than 3

Mike and Becca  (Books and Looks) Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Wilber wrote: "Is this a trilogy"

I'm not sure how many books there will be, but the author mentioned more than 3"

I think she said this series will have 4 on her twitter Q&A!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Mike and Becca wrote: "Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Wilber wrote: "Is this a trilogy"

I think she said this series will have 4 o..."

Yeah I recalled her saying it would at least be 4!

Holly~ Queen of the Books So looking forward to it now! Got a countdown for it too😂x

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Holly~ Queen of the Books wrote: "So looking forward to it now! Got a countdown for it too😂x"

So close!!!

Kelly Guillemette I just tricked a bookstore employee to snag me this book from the back because I can't wait for the September 19th release date.
I paid and then ran for the door with it because I didn't want anyone to try to get it back.
I'm so excited for this and your review made me happy I got away with it!

message 50: by Romy (new) - added it

Romy as if I wasn't anxiously waiting for my copy to arrive already...ahhhhhhh <3

« previous 1