Lola 's Reviews > Out of the Easy

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

bookshelves: historical-fiction, education

OUT OF THE EASY is another fantastic piece of writing by the stupendous Ruta Sepetys, aka the only historical fiction writer to make my list of top favourite authors.

With a mostly absent and selfish prostitute as a mother, Josie’s life has never been exactly easy. The title is, therefore, very much ironic.

Josie is a good girl who wants a good education and a good life, out of the city of New Orleans which, so far, only filled her heart with disappointments. But if she can’t receive a scholarship, she’ll be stuck in a life she wishes would be different until she meets her creator.

Though we’re clearly aware of the fact that this is a historical novel from the way the people were thinking and living in 1950s New Orleans, the point of this book is not to tell you how things were back in the day, although that’s part of it, but rather make you experience, through the lovely Josie, the life of a teenage girl with big dreams in a city that plans to suck the life out of her.

More showing than telling. And that’s so very great, because I can’t recall the number of times I’ve been disappointed with a book because of its annoying tendency to tell instead of to show which, incidentally, works much better than the former on so many levels.

It’s simply a pleasure to read Miss Sepethys’ novels. I don’t worry about being flooded with information or having to put on my intelligence glasses to decipher what she says. She writes like she breaths. Effortlessly.

And with an admirable elegance.

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Easy.

February 15, 2017 – Started Reading
February 17, 2017 – Shelved
February 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Nicole Alycia I'm so excited for her next novel! I hear she's working on book 4 now!

message 2: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro So glad that you such a good experience with the book ;)

Lola She better be! I need more :D

Lola Thank you, Alejandro!!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Can't wait to read this :)

message 6: by George (new)

George Jankovic Wonderful review, Lola! Histoical fiction can be very nice. If you like ancient Rome wars and intrigues, I recommend The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome #1). It even has some LGBT albeit not presented as a positive since the Romans looked down upon it while the Greeks didn't.

Lola I'm open to reading any good book, whatever the genre, setting, century. I'll check it out! oh cool, you know I love me some LGBT romance :)

Lola And thank you :D

Lola Jo, you MUST!

message 10: by George (new)

George Jankovic Lola wrote: "I'm open to reading any good book, whatever the genre, setting, century. I'll check it out! oh cool, you know I love me some LGBT romance :)"

Hope you don't get dissapointed since there wasn't really a romance there. The Roman general Sulla was anything but a romantic. The guy just had needs. :) And quite a cruel guy, but extremely interesting in history as well as in the book.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Great review, Lola (like always!) <3

Neil (or bleed) Totally agree with you, Lola! I really liked this book. Great review! :)

Lola I'm glad you also liked it! Thank you!

message 14: by Wajiha (new) - added it

Wajiha Thanks for another great review. Definitely adding this to my to read list. One comment though: the title may be referring to the fact that New Orleans is referred to as the Big Easy, so Out of the Easy might be out of the city.

Lola Yeah! Still ironic though :)

Lola Thank you!!