Jared's Reviews > Sector 7

Sector 7 by David Wiesner

Mar 31, 2008

bookshelves: children-s, books-i-own
Read in August, 2001

David Wiesner is a genius. I ran across this book while browsing through the BYU Bookstore one day. I "read" through the whole thing in about ten minutes, then "read" through it again. Then again. (Please realize that this is quite an accomplishment, because the book is almost 100,000 words long.) Then I bought it for Kim, 'cause I figured she'd love it, too.

You think it's hard to write a story? Try writing one without using any words! How do I reconcile my assertions that this book has no words and that it's almost 100,000 words long? Because the book is entirely made of pictures, and each picture is worth 1,000 words! Hah!

And you thought that I was going senile in my old age...

This book and Flotsam are two amazing forays into the art of storytelling without words. Sector 7 is the story of an artistic boy on a field trip to the Empire State Building. When his class gets to the top of the Empire State Building, the building is fogged in so that they can't see the city. As the boy is walking along the observation deck, the wind steals his hat and scarf. When the boy goes looking for them, he discovers that a cloud is wearing them.

The cloud ends up taking the boy to Sector 7 headquarters, where the clouds get their assignments for the greater New York area.

I'm not going to ruin the rest of it for you. You'll have to "read" it yourself. It's worth it; I promise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sector 7.