mith's Reviews > A Curse So Dark and Lonely

A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

bookshelves: 2019-publication, arcs, all-time-favourites, contemporary, fantasy, maaaagic, male-mains, royalty, standalone, reviewed

Wow. Once in a while you come across a book that you end up loving so much you don’t know what to do with yourself after finishing it.

A Curse So Dark and Lonely felt a little bit like that.

It has been a while since I’ve last read a Beauty and the Beast retelling. Many have been done well but there was nothing new that made it stand out from the other retellings the the tale had to offer. Kemmerer’s novel, though, was fresh, unique, and so much fun!

I love portal fantasies and that’s the first thing that made me love this book. Our beauty, Harper, lives in DC and in trying to save someone else, she ends up in a whole other world. Emberfall was almost like any other fantasy world I’ve read but the whole curse aspect did make it unique!

The second thing that made me love this book were the characters! I LOVE ALL OF THEM. I was immediately taken to Harper, who was resilient and headstrong and full of different kinds of strengths. From the minute we meet her, she’s fighting someone, and continues to fight for herself and her freedom. Even after accepting this fate, she fights for the kingdom and the people. I have so many feelings about Harper that I don’t know what to do with them. I love this girl, and I love that she's never ashamed of her cerebral palsy or the limits she has because of it. She never lets it stop her and I have so much admiration for her.

And then there’s Rhen, who was such a fun narrator! Which is ironic since he’s the fantasy guy and Harper gets sarcasm. Anyway, I loved Rhen. He’s just about given up on trying to fix his curse but I love how he tried with Harper. I love he slowly fell for her and it was just the best to read about. He was such a complex hero and I couldn’t get enough of his point of view!

Secondary characters shone here too. Grey was the most prominent and not to sound dramatic or anything, but I’d die for him. Grey was written so well and he’s such an important person to both Rhen and Harper that you can but help love him along with our main protagonists. Grey was perfect and I feel like I could go on about him forever, but I’ll just end this with hoping that he’ll get his own book.

The romance in this book was done so well. And it was done so differently than I expected! I was waiting a loooooong time for any type of interaction between Harper and Rhen and each touch was worth it. It was super slow burn and authentically done—and believable too! I love the arc Kemmerer took for Harper’s feelings towards Rhen!

Overall, this book is amazing. If you love Beauty and the Beast retellings, you have to read this one! Yes it’s long but you fly by so fast you hardly feel the length. It’s incredibly addictive and well written with amazing characters and an engaging story. 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Curse So Dark and Lonely.

February 16, 2017 – Shelved
February 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: 2019-publication
August 16, 2018 – Started Reading (ebook Edition)
August 16, 2018 – Started Reading
page 78
15.73% "I LOVE THIS BOOK ALREADY"
page 213
"Ugh this is too good" (ebook Edition)
page 254