Andrew's Reviews > Don't Feed the Trolls

Don't Feed the Trolls by Erica Kudisch

Feb 24, 2017

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, lgbqpa, transgender, stand-alone, contemporary, netgalley-reads

*received from publisher/author on Netgalley*

I’ll admit that after reading the synopsis of the story on Goodreads I was both curious and worried. I was curious how the author would do this but at the same time, I was worried it was going to be done badly. I’m so glad that I’m pleasantly surprised.
This story amazingly expresses the problems and abuse that someone can go through online (and sometimes offline). The abuse, the homophobia, the transphobia, the sexism, and it’s definitely not sugar-coated and it’s not expressed in a positive light (like it’s okay for people to do this kind of thing), it’s expressed as horrifically and disgustingly negative as it is in reality. The way that some men believe they can easily abuse and threaten women online, or people they perceive as women (maybe because of a gaming character).
Not only that but it shows how far some of them may go to out or abuse said person. For Daphnis, they end up being attacked, threatened and even physically hit by another character.
However it shows a positive side to things, it shows the love and care between friends. Both when Daphnis is trying to figure out who they are and also when being sent abuse, their friends are always there by their side to look out for them. And vice versa. When mentioning wanting to be a man, being seen as a man, their friend, Alain/Ivy, immediately comes up and helps change their image to something that is more comfortable, and both Alain and Jackie support them and start using gender neutral pronouns around them until they figure out who they are for sure.
In fact, moving onto the LGBTQ+ side of things, we have our characters, Daphnis who identifies as pansexual, and is literally said on-page (and possibly as genderqueer/transgender), Alain/Ivy who is a gay man and does drag, Jackie who identifies as a lesbian and Laura who identifies as bisexual, all of which is said on-page. On-page, people! These words, along with cis and trans, are used in this story. None of this “only man and woman” and only “gay or straight” business, it explores other identities, both gender and sexuality.
This will definitely, sadly, have triggers, but it does show realistic problems that need to be talked about and fixed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Feed the Trolls.

February 16, 2017 – Shelved
February 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 21, 2017 – Started Reading
February 22, 2017 –
9.0% "There's a couple of sentences rubbing me the wrong way but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is the problem- Besides that, this is quite interesting so far."
February 22, 2017 –
16.0% "This is so wild - honestly, surprisingly really good."
February 23, 2017 –
26.0% "This is getting a lot better and definitely shows the (sadly and unfortunately) realistic assholes you will find on and off line - homophobic, transphobic, sexist- ugh-"
February 24, 2017 –
40.0% "Pan, bi, gay, lesbian, cis, trans. Discussion of how a lot of the world falls into male or female but what if you're neither??? this just keeps getting better and better"
February 24, 2017 –
57.0% "I'm screaming. Woah."
February 24, 2017 –
67.0% "All I have to say is woah"
February 24, 2017 –
88.0% "They/them pronouns are being used just as mention"
February 24, 2017 – Finished Reading